love-android-sdl2 (native, 0.9.2)

A project to port LÖVE to Android handhelds
fysx
Citizen

Re: love-android-sdl2 (native, 0.9.0)

Post by fysx »

Enigma wrote:At the momment the top game on the play store is portrait orientation. Plus it means people won't have to recomplie the app every time you make a change.
There is no limitation to landscape orientation, it is a very simple change in the AndroidManifest.xml. It even does not need a recompilation, it is only a re-packaging which is being done automatically by ant or Eclipse when deploying the game onto the device.

I really don't see why one would want to burden oneself with designing UIs for two layouts. With the different screens it is already enough work getting one right I would assume.
Bird thing: @fysxdotorg Blog thing: fysx.org
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

Enigma wrote:At the momment the top game on the play store is portrait orientation. Plus it means people won't have to recomplie the app every time you make a change.
While testing on a device using local storage for your game.love is fine, I would like to point out that when you distribute, you will have to run `ant debug` (building the apk) yourself anyway.

If you're planning on deploying to Android, you're going to have to learn how to build the apk yourself anyway.
fysx wrote:I really don't see why one would want to burden oneself with designing UIs for two layouts. With the different screens it is already enough work getting one right I would assume.
To add to that, unless you're deploying to one device (say the OUYA) then you're going to have to deal with resolution independence anyway. Android devices, while they run the same OS have a wide variety of resolutions. With resolution independence comes the requirement of a dynamic UI system. You can have one UI, but just have it display differently depending on the res.

@fysx I will mention though, it might be a nice feature to have a way to turn the orientation via Lua in Love, but I wouldn't consider this a high priority considering there are already three orientation modes (portrait, landscape and auto).
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
TangZero
Prole

Post by TangZero »

josefnpat wrote: @fysx I will mention though, it might be a nice feature to have a way to turn the orientation via Lua in Love, but I wouldn't consider this a high priority considering there are already three orientation modes (portrait, landscape and auto).
It's very easy to implement in the love.mobile module. Maybe I can do that! Maybe.... I haven't had much free time lately. :?
alberto_lara
Party member

Post by alberto_lara »

I didn't try this yet but if it works like people are saying, I'm going to give you a medal.
fysx
Citizen

Post by fysx »

Just published alpha9.

The major advancement here is that packaged games do not waste memory in the internal storage. Previously game.love was stored in the .apk and in internal storage which could result in huge memory usage for large games. Now the file in the .apk is directly loaded.

Here's the full changelog:
- Packaged games do not get duplicated for loading, instead are loaded from memory (!!!)
- Using inofficial physfs 2.1
- Removed love.android.getDisplayMetrics(), instead use love.window.getPixelScale()
- Properly link LGPL libraries dynamically. Everything else is linked statically
- Added an icon (design by @josefnpat)
- Fixed crash on startup on OUYA (and possibly other devices)

You can get it from here: https://bitbucket.org/MartinFelis/love- ... alpha9.apk
Bird thing: @fysxdotorg Blog thing: fysx.org
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Version 9 doesn't work on my Samsung S4 mini, it says "Unfortunately LÖVE for Android has stopped".
Last edited by jjmafiae on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

jjmafiae wrote:Version 8 doesn't work on my Samsung S4 mini, it says "Unfortunately LÖVE for Android has stopped".
Same here, version 9 doesn't work.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Davidobot wrote:
jjmafiae wrote:Version 8 doesn't work on my Samsung S4 mini, it says "Unfortunately LÖVE for Android has stopped".
Same here, version 9 doesn't work.
That might be this issue.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Also, can someone please build a version of this that has portrait orientation? Or would someone be kind enough to help to package my game as a .apk?
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

Davidobot wrote:Also, can someone please build a version of this that has portrait orientation? Or would someone be kind enough to help to package my game as a .apk?
What release would you like? Alpha9?

If you prefer, check out the documentation I wrote and try it yourself!
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push