My Plans To Break Into The Video Game Industry in CANADA.

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Ekamu
Party member

My Plans To Break Into The Video Game Industry in CANADA.

Post by Ekamu »

Hey guys I've been in a daydreaming mode and thought of some interesting things about video games and astrology ... since this is a video game site we won't talk much about the astrology part... but anyway. I have a great idea to break into the video game industry in yes... CANADA!

Why not right? the thing is its never according to plan so I'm open to advice and or just your opinions on this.

I plan on doing three things (note: they can work out anywhere but I'm currently in Canda)...

1) Start out indie and make many free and fun games, build up a small fan-base, this will mean you will have a market ready and waiting for you.

2) After gaining enough experience with programming and creating resources (art, music e.t.c) make one commercial game based on a popular game you made in the indie stage. Keep it fun and simple but improve on the original game either with more resources or some new mechanic e.t.c (or both if you have the power too!)

3) Invest in a studio apartment and better equipment and if possible one work station and set up a small indie team. continue making small fun games like in the indie stage to test each others strengths and weaknesses and how you would co-operate together.

4) After gaining enough experience together make another commercial game but with a team now ( so probably with something a bit more powerful like Unity ).

You could continue growing your team or not depending on if you want to go mainstream (large team) or stay more indie (smaller team).

mainstream has more money involved. indie has more heart involved. both ways from customer to consumer.
shatterblast
Party member

Re: My Plans To Break Into The Video Game Industry in CANADA

Post by shatterblast »

Following this methodology, I believe this is how one or two of the programmers at Supergiant Games got started with the piece of work called Bastion. The art and sound talent came in later, which were both great. The funding came with the proof of concept.

Still following this idea, they plan on making Transistor just to test to see what they can successfully make. I hope they do well.
norubal
Party member

Re: My Plans To Break Into The Video Game Industry in CANADA

Post by norubal »

I'm planning to being life-making indie developer, too. good luck to you! ^^