Using LuaGL with LÖVE

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Luiji
Party member

Re: Using LuaGL with LÖVE

Post by Luiji »

Door #4. A vector graphics library.
Good bye.
Elvashi
Prole

Post by Elvashi »

@ Pekka
The problem is that native library loading in Love is something of an elephant in the room. No one wants to talk about it, since both sides suck, so we try not to bring it up.
You can't really take the side that it should be disabled, since its too damned useful; We can't integrate everything that people might want to load, there's too damned many; and nothing good can really come of inviting Lovers to load non-portable binary libraries.

It was hoped that love.native would have been a way out of the conundrum; if you can compile C code from within love, then a lot of problems that would have been solved with native libs can be solved somewhat portably with embedded C instead. Unfortunately, TCC turned out to have its own portability problems, so love.native got shelved.

Which...leaves us back where we started, and with that exact same elephant still standing in the room.

Oh, and the sourcecode being availible doesn't negate the goals of the project. It just means you are free to grab the source code and modify it if you happen to disagree.
"We could make a program for doing this for you, but that is for the LÖVE IDE, planned to be released in March 2142." ~mike
Networking with UDP uLove Proposal CCG: Gangrene
hertzcastle
Party member

Post by hertzcastle »

i think we've all been over love.gl before. i personally would love to see some simple 3d effects made possible with love, maybe opening up a few more creative possibilities, so i agree with you on that. but there are already a lot of engines out there that already do gl in scripting languages. love (IMHO) is set apart from the rest by how simple and integrated everything is. i think opening the door for full gl support will just lead people down the wrong path. lets make games, not triangles (not that i don't love triangles, they're one of my favorite geometric shapes).x
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

Yeah, triangles are great. I löve trigonometry.

love.gl really does just shoot people down the wrong path. LÖVE is made to be simple.
Good bye.
hertzcastle
Party member

Post by hertzcastle »

plus, in regards to 3d love, i wouldn't have thought you would actually be writing gl code. i reckon it would be more along the path of:

Code: Select all

love.3d.translate(20, 30, 30)
stuff like that. which would actually be really cool, one day...
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Yes. I agree. Simple 3D could be useful in 2D games. There are a lot of 2D games that use simple 3D effects in certain places.
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

Including Mother 3, I believe.
Good bye.
bmelts
Party member

Post by bmelts »

The limited special effects Mother 3 has are limited to the realm of 2D. Beyond that, this is getting off-topic.
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

Is it really? We are discussing the benefits of using LuaGL in game development.
Good bye.