Food Eater

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
roggie
Prole

Food Eater

Post by roggie »

Food eater is a game that I was making during the development of Shapes of Doom

It's basically a game where you have to get the white squares but you can't hit into any of the red rectangles. The rectangles are the enemies of all shapes :D

I haven't added any highscore keeping but that will soon be added. There are also a few more things that I'll need to add.

Since this game was made during the time that I was developing Shapes of Doom all of the code is in the main.lua :)

itch.io download

SourceForge Download(for windows)
Attachments
FoodEater.love
Food Eater - Beta
(61.53 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Eamonn
Party member

Re: Food Eater

Post by Eamonn »

Still using pictures for menus :P The circle/rectangle collision is off by a LOT.

Other than that, the game's pretty good! You can use love.graphics.rectangle() to draw the platforms. This will save you some space and you can cut the game's size down. It will also give you more flexibility in terms of creating the platforms.

A couple of questions about the source.

What does this mean?

Code: Select all

xx = 100,
yy = 200,
xxx = 200,
yyy = 350,
xxxx = 400,
yyyy = 500,
Why so many shortcuts for functions man? XD You can just have lg so you can use lg for all love.graphics methods and stuff, instead of having lgni for just love.graphics.newImage().

Add more spaces between lines of code (Seriously XD It's pretty messy. How are people supposed to be able to read your code?), and comment it a little bit. A comment every 5 lines or so doesn't hurt ;)

I know you said that separating your code into separate files and requiring them gives you errors, but PLEASE look into fixing it. It'll help you out a ton and it will help people on the forum read you code to help you :D

Very simple. Other than the collision I can't find any bugs.

Good game :D
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Eamonn wrote:I know you said that separating your code into separate files and requiring them gives you errors, but PLEASE look into fixing it. It'll help you out a ton and it will help people on the forum read you code to help you :D
How require "" works you make a new .lua file call it what ever you want and then you go into main.lua and type require "filename" but don't include .lua in require.

and Eamonn is right about the picture stuff for menus, it use up extra memory(Both ram and space) and makes the game load slower just use fonts
DrCicero
Prole

Post by DrCicero »

Nice game, but it is kind of mean, that the left red block start already in the screen, while right ones start outside of the screen. Also you made a typo in the help: "lies" -> "lives". ;)
Xeldas Saga - my ca. 10min action-platformer (contains sound effects, music, graphics and a boss fight)
roggie
Prole

Post by roggie »

Eamonn wrote:Still using pictures for menus
Yep, as I said,
Food eater is a game that I was making during the development of Shapes of Doom

Food eater was a side project and since I used pictures for menus then, there are pics for menus now. But I am going to add buttons.

Since this game was a side project it needs a lot of work done to it :D
Last edited by roggie on Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
roggie
Prole

Post by roggie »

DrCicero wrote:Also you made a typo in the help: "lies" -> "lives". ;)
Haha, thanks I'll fix that :awesome: