confused somewhat

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
jasper.davis
Prole

confused somewhat

Post by jasper.davis »

so I recently decided to learn how to do classes in lua. I was trying to understand the code behind loveTank alittle for fun. however, the most important document, class.lua, I wasn't understanding immediately. so I followed the link provided to learn it. though I know how it works in some places, I get confused after "local mt = {}". could someone help me? I think there's a typo in there possibly.
Ramcat
Prole

Re: confused somewhat

Post by Ramcat »

Code: Select all

-- expose a constructor which can be called by <classname>(<args>)
local mt = {}
mt.__call = function(class_tbl, ...)
I presume these are the lines of the class.lua file you are referring to? I spent all of yesterday reading the online version of Programming in Lua which is the source reference for the class.lua you are talking about.

Lua can use two tables to represent a class. The table and a metatable that has been assigned to the table. This is one of the mechanisms that Lua uses to simulate inheritance.

The line, "local mt = {}" creates the metatable. The next line assigns a function to the metamethod __call. What I find hard to understand about this is the metamethods are "magic", I haven't found much documentation on them other than the above links. There are a bunch of metamethods that are called on the metatable of the table that is the object.
jasper.davis
Prole

Post by jasper.davis »

I think I figured it out after alittle looking.
the segment looks like this on the page.

local mt = {}
   local obj = {}
   setmetatable(obj,c)
   if init then
      init(obj,...)
   else 
      -- make sure that any stuff from the base class is initialized!
      if base and base.init then
      base.init(obj, ...)
      end
   end
   return obj
   end
however I think it's supposed to be indented, like so

local mt = {}
         local obj = {}
         setmetatable(obj,c)
         if init then
                init(obj,...)
         else 
         -- make sure that any stuff from the base class is initialized!
                 if base and base.init then
                       base.init(obj, ...)
                 end
         end
         return obj
   end
After fixing this small issue, the code actually seems to make some sense. I could be wrong but it feels like it's a correct guess.
jasper.davis
Prole

Post by jasper.davis »

Ramcat wrote: I spent all of yesterday reading the online version of Programming in Lua which is the source reference for the class.lua you are talking about.

Lua can use two tables to represent a class. The table and a metatable that has been assigned to the table. This is one of the mechanisms that Lua uses to simulate inheritance.

The line, "local mt = {}" creates the metatable. The next line assigns a function to the metamethod __call. What I find hard to understand about this is the metamethods are "magic", I haven't found much documentation on them other than the above links. There are a bunch of metamethods that are called on the metatable of the table that is the object.
yeah I read through that part as well today.
ejmr
Party member

Post by ejmr »

Ramcat wrote:What I find hard to understand about this is the metamethods are "magic", I haven't found much documentation on them other than the above links. There are a bunch of metamethods that are called on the metatable of the table that is the object.
It may help to think of metamethods as a way to support standard operators on your own data structures (i.e. tables). For example, if you represented matrices with tables then you could define ‘Matrix.__add()’ so that you could write code like ‘x + y’, where those two variables are Matrix tables. This lets you avoid writing code like ‘x:add(y)’, which I think many people would find cumbersome. I hope that makes some sense and helps.
ejmr :: Programming and Game-Dev Blog, GitHub
南無妙法蓮華經
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

If you don't know much about metatables, then reading a class library can be a bit hard. If you just want to do really simple OO, I recommend using this "magic function"

function inherit(a, b)
   -- makes a inherit eveyrhting from b
   b.__index = b
   setmetatble(a,b)
   return a
end
Then you really have everything you need; you create classes by just creating a table containing all the stuff you want every object of that class to have, and to instantiate you just create a new table and use the inherit function on it.

For example:

awesomeclass = {}
awesomeclass.text = "default text"
function awesomeclass:print()
    love.graphics.print(self.text, 10, 10)
end

local obj = inherit({}, awesomeclass)
obj.text = "another text"
obj:print() -- prints "another text", would've printed "default text" without the previous line

OttoRobba
Party member

Post by OttoRobba »

It can be a little bit confusing.
I generally prefer closure OOP - which I honestly find a lot simpler to do and manage.

Lua-users has a wiki page with explanations on the apporaches to Lua's oop.
murks
Party member

Post by murks »

Metatables is a concept I try to grasp since quite some time, basically since I first encountered Lua, without success.
Maybe someone should write a "Metatables for dummies" book. This stuff is really confusing.
Inny
Party member

Post by Inny »

murks wrote:Metatables is a concept I try to grasp since quite some time, basically since I first encountered Lua, without success.
Maybe someone should write a "Metatables for dummies" book. This stuff is really confusing.
Metatables are really just another table that explains what Lua should do if it encounters a special situations. The most common situation is a missing key from a table. If a table doesn't have a value stored at a key you ask for, it checks the metatable for an explanation of what to do. Specifically, the __index key on that metatable. If __index is a function, it runs the function. If it's another table, it goes looking for the key in that table. And if that table is missing the key, you check it's metatable. So, the chain from an object, or a table with a metatable set, goes object[key] to getmetatable(object).__index[key] to getmetatable(getmetatable(object).__index).__index[key].

Now, sometimes you see this

Class.__index = Class
All that is saying is that this table (which will be a metatable) uses itself as its own __index metamethod.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Metatables are not complicated. They are very simple. You don't need a book to explain them, a chapter is enough.

The thing is, to understand metatables, something has to "click" in your head (like many other concepts in fields like programming and maths), and that's a very personal thing. We can try to explain metatables to you, like Inny did, but we can't know what the thing will be that makes you have that click. Maybe the best thing would be for you to keep trying to use them, even if you don't understand what you're doing and listening to our explanations until you get your click.
Help us help you: attach a .love.