What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
gestaltist
Prole

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by gestaltist »

Germanunkol wrote:
Jimanzium wrote:
The attachment wobble.gif is no longer available
That mechanic looks really neat... well done! Also, the relatively simple graphics are a nice contrast to the more complex physics (usually these kind of pixel graphics don't come with physics) - I like it!
I also like the mechanic a lot! Nice to look at.

Meanwhile, my simulation project is progressing along. My end goal is to have a fantasy world simulator as I have mentioned in this thread before. For now, I have a world builder included with a simulation of temperatures and wind across the year. Everything is created procedurally.

It is actually pretty complicated under the hood and easy to break if you change the parameters carelessly. It takes a lot of things into account:
- the temperature is influenced by insolation, altitude, the axial tilt
- the water heat capacity is taken into account, naturally creating oceanic and continental climates
- I have a wind system based on air pressure differences (based in turn on temperatures) - it also takes the Coriolis effect into account and affects temperatures

On the technical side it includes some things I have worked on recently: landmass creation via random walk, Voronoi graphs, my own class system.

Next on my list:
- humidity, clouds and rain
- river creation and erosion
- plant ecosystem based on the above

Further down the line (and very complicated):
- place animals in the ecosystem
- add humans and let them evolve their civilizations..

Anyway, here is the demo:
worldsim-voronoi-0.2.love
(18.42 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
Edit: forgot to mention that this simulates an entire continent. 1 pixel = 20 km.
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

aerocom wrote:Me and a couple of buddies started working on a 'Risk of Rain' style game. If you don't know what Risk of Rain is, I'll just explain the game, 'Arena of Time', here.

Arena of Time is an Arcade/Adventure game where permanent death is a feature of the game. You play as a character from a set of different classes and races, and go into an arena, battling waves of monsters and bosses, finding money to spend on upgrades and non-perma items.

I could post more on it when we decide on whats official and such.
Cool! I have recently become addicted to the game (I haven't beaten it though- I stink) and was wondering what you plan on doing differently? There has to be something unique about your game to make people want to get it if they already have the older one. This may just be new characters/items/enemies, but that would likely take a lot of improvement on that side. Instead, investigate something a bit more difficult implement (as well as new characters/items etc.). I don't have any ideas, but I look forward to seeing it! :)
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
aerocom
Prole

Post by aerocom »

davisdude wrote:
aerocom wrote:Me and a couple of buddies started working on a 'Risk of Rain' style game. If you don't know what Risk of Rain is, I'll just explain the game, 'Arena of Time', here.

Arena of Time is an Arcade/Adventure game where permanent death is a feature of the game. You play as a character from a set of different classes and races, and go into an arena, battling waves of monsters and bosses, finding money to spend on upgrades and non-perma items.

I could post more on it when we decide on whats official and such.
Cool! I have recently become addicted to the game (I haven't beaten it though- I stink) and was wondering what you plan on doing differently? There has to be something unique about your game to make people want to get it if they already have the older one. This may just be new characters/items/enemies, but that would likely take a lot of improvement on that side. Instead, investigate something a bit more difficult implement (as well as new characters/items etc.). I don't have any ideas, but I look forward to seeing it! :)
Awesome, I think that the game was really well designed and made very well (I played one round for 8 hours, then died :P), and I just want to take the good things from that game - Permanent death, many characters, lots of collectables and objectives, etc. - and mix them with some features that weren't in the game that would have made it even better - like weapon upgrades, permanent level ups, (maybe if we could, a better multiplayer?), character customization, unlockable abilities, and a wave based system instead of a level advancement. And like you said, I would really like to make this game unique in itself, and possibly have a much more complex and extreme story. We've already got a basis of the story, but maybe instead of having a very faint story like RoR that has unlockable parts to the backstories of enemies that make the game seem like you're just a hunter looking for descriptions, AoT will make you, with every wave, unlock a new part of the story, in the form of notes. Most of the time, they will leave you hanging and wanting to get further.

Not exactly sure how we would do it, but it's something we hope to do.
R u a doge?
Bc im a doge
we cen b doge frends
hurray fer doge frends
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

I like the idea of weapon upgrades, but not permanent weapon upgrades. The whole appeal of perma-death is that it makes each play-through unique. Maybe you could find/buy weapon upgrades? Good ideas, though.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
MadByte
Party member

Post by MadByte »

I'm working on concept graphics for an level selection screen for my Air Taxi Clone. Not totally happy with it atm.

Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I'd say try emulating what many other games like Angry Birds do and put each section on the screen one at a time and scroll through them. That way if you add more levels you just add a new page and don't have to reconfigure the positions of the groups you have now just to make the new one fit.

If it were me I'd use a tweeting library like Flux to move between the groups smoothly.

Edit: Might as well take this chance to tease people a little bit with this work-in-progress placeholder-filled image...
Screen Shot 2014-08-08 at 4.52.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-08 at 4.52.20 AM.png (494.76 KiB) Viewed 4979 times
Don't get too excited yet though.
Karasuro
Prole

Post by Karasuro »

I'm working on a Dynamic Audio Library I call Audyn. It allows real-time effects and audio manipulation.
It has built in oscillators which have Sine, Triangle, Saw, Square, and Noise waveforms. But the main part of this project is taking streaming audio and being able to script loops, reverse playback, etc. even synced sequential audio of multiple channels.

Effects Include:
Reverb, Chorus, Distortion, Delay, Echo, Bit crushing, and more.

Audio Manipulation Includes:
Ring Modulation, Frequency Modulation, LFO, Low-Band-High Pass Filters, Envelopes, and more.

This project is still in its design phase. I haven't even started programming.
Rukiri
Citizen

Post by Rukiri »

Jasoco wrote:I'd say try emulating what many other games like Angry Birds do and put each section on the screen one at a time and scroll through them. That way if you add more levels you just add a new page and don't have to reconfigure the positions of the groups you have now just to make the new one fit.

If it were me I'd use a tweeting library like Flux to move between the groups smoothly.

Edit: Might as well take this chance to tease people a little bit with this work-in-progress placeholder-filled image...
Screen Shot 2014-08-08 at 4.52.20 AM.png
Don't get too excited yet though.
Earthbound is awesome, gotta play that game again :nyu:
The raycasting 3d/effect looks cool :awesome:

I'm currently working on a RPG KIT that basically replicates RPG Maker XP/VX-Ace.
I don't have any screens as it's mostly code, haven't gone into the map/player movement yet.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

If a pixel artist sees this post and is interested in working with me, submit your art to me
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
clofresh
Citizen

Post by clofresh »

Jasoco wrote:Don't get too excited yet though.
Too late! Excited! How do you do the perspective?
----------------------------------------
Sluicer Games