Gamedev question: Porting LOVE to consoles?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
RiversideMotel
Prole

Gamedev question: Porting LOVE to consoles?

Post by RiversideMotel »

Hi, I do not know exactly how porting works, and I've had a hard time finding any useful info anywhere on the internet.
Could someone point me in the direction of any good places on the internet that explain exactly how games are ported to different consoles?
Related to LOVE, is it possible to port LOVE to consoles like the Ouya, Xbone, PS4, Wiiu, etc? Have other people done this before and is it 'well known' how to do (ie, I won't have to discover all of this by myself)?

I can't tell if porting is done by changing all the code (as a bad example, you write the game in OpenGL for Linux, but then were to rewrite all the code in DirectX for your windows port), or if you simple send what you are rendering to a function that converts that rendered image into something presentable for that particular platform, or if porting is done in a completely different way.

Thanks for any help and I appreciate anyone who answers this painful n00b question :D
davisdude
Party member

Re: Gamedev question: Porting LOVE to consoles?

Post by davisdude »

I have never ported any games to consoles, but I know there are phone ports (to Android and iOS (both unofficial AFAIK)). According to the
OUYA website:
The OUYA Developers Website wrote:2. Make Your Game
- You can build a game using any number of tools. Here are the tools supported by the OUYA community.
Adobe Air
Android
Construct 2
Corona
Game Maker
Marmalade Multimedia Fusion 2
libGDX
MonoGame
Unreal
Unity
The ones I highlighted seem feasible to port to from, the first form LÖVE's Android port. This may be possible. I have no idea.
Unity is very popular, and is also in Lua, so if you aren't too invested in LÖVE, you could switch to that.

To develop any game for the XBox, you have to become a registered developer (which costs a pretty good amount of money). Find out more info about XBox (and other Windows products here).

From the research I've done Unity seems almost universally accepted on WiiU, Playstation 4, and possibily XBox One.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

davisdude wrote: Unity is very popular, and is also in Lua, so if you aren't too invested in LÖVE, you could switch to that.
It's not lua.
RiversideMotel wrote:is it possible to port LOVE to consoles like the Ouya, Xbone, PS4, Wiiu, etc?
Maybe? The android port works on ouya already, but we don't have devkits for the other devices, nor developer licenses, and even then, it remains to be seen whether a point would be sane, considering they often have wildly differing graphics apis.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

If such a port were to happen for one of the Big Three, the non-disclosure agreement the porter would have to sign would mean the code would not be able to be shared with anyone who isn't part of the developer program for that specific console.

It would also be a lot of work and it would require a good understanding of the technical aspects of the console.
dan369
Prole

Post by dan369 »

And involve £££.
Look at Monogame for an example.
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

bartbes wrote:
davisdude wrote: Unity is very popular, and is also in Lua, so if you aren't too invested in LÖVE, you could switch to that.
It's not lua.
My bad, I though it was. Wither way, Unity is a very popular option for most developers.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
Rukiri
Citizen

Post by Rukiri »

davisdude wrote:
bartbes wrote:
It's not lua.
My bad, I though it was. Wither way, Unity is a very popular option for most developers.
Unity themselves would take the C++ code and port it into workable code for Unity and use lua for the scripting portion.
But they have boo which is also nice.