LÖVE and open/closed-source, hidden/not-hidden code

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
adnzzzzZ
Party member

LÖVE and open/closed-source, hidden/not-hidden code

Post by adnzzzzZ »

Discussion about those issues goes here.

To start off, I have a question: isn't the idea of making LÖVE only for open-source projects similar to how the GPL license works? Isn't that a bad idea?
szensk
Party member

Re: LÖVE and open/closed-source, hidden/not-hidden code

Post by szensk »

It's a limiting idea to only allow Love to be used with open source games. It limits the author's freedom to decide how to distribute his work. The zlib license, I suspect, was chosen for this reason. The game player's freedom isn't an important issue, as they are not the user of Love; rather the game author is the user.

But as others have said, the visibility of your source code has little to do with this. If your source code is visible and a license is included the prohibits modification, redistribution, etc. then it is unlawful behavior to do so.
adnzzzzZ
Party member

Post by adnzzzzZ »

szensk wrote:But as others have said, the visibility of your source code has little to do with this. If your source code is visible and a license is included the prohibits modification, redistribution, etc. then it is unlawful behavior to do so.
Does anyone have experience with going through the enforcement of punishment against said unlawful behavior? Laws are useful if they are enforced, and I find it hard to believe that on such a situation going through the motions of enforcing this particular branch of the law will be easy at all.
szensk
Party member

Post by szensk »

adnzzzzZ wrote:
szensk wrote:But as others have said, the visibility of your source code has little to do with this. If your source code is visible and a license is included the prohibits modification, redistribution, etc. then it is unlawful behavior to do so.
Does anyone have experience with going through the enforcement of punishment against said unlawful behavior? Laws are useful if they are enforced, and I find it hard to believe that on such a situation going through the motions of enforcing this particular branch of the law will be easy at all.
I don't, but it's very typically easy to submit a DMCA request which this legal disclaimer would give you the right to do so.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Plus, licensing works as a deterrent, especially when dealing with corporations rather than lone wolfs. Companies tend to spend a lot of money on licenses for IP stuff, just to make sure they can't be sued (even if it'd be unlikely).

For individuals, AFAIK, emotion based tactics (especially guilt and sympathy) work better than legal or technological tactics.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
adnzzzzZ
Party member

Post by adnzzzzZ »

Robin wrote:For individuals, AFAIK, emotion based tactics (especially guilt and sympathy) work better than legal or technological tactics.
That's literally the same as saying they don't work at all. Going from how I think in general alone, if I was motivated to see how something worked, guilt tripping me would be highly ineffective and would actually work against you (the person trying to protect his work). The only thing keeping me from figuring things out would be to make it hard enough, because then I'd give up if I thought it was too much work.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

adnzzzzZ wrote:Going from how I think in general alone,
Luckily, not all people think like you do.

And you don't need to stop everyone: you just want to maximise profits (presumably), which means maximising the money your are given by the suckers who play your game, while minimising the amount you spend to get them to do that.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
adnzzzzZ
Party member

Post by adnzzzzZ »

Robin wrote:
adnzzzzZ wrote:Going from how I think in general alone,
Luckily, not all people think like you do.
What percentage of the population shares my mindset aside, "let's hope for the best out of people" seems like a naive stance to take regarding security.
adrix89
Party member

Post by adrix89 »

adnzzzzZ wrote:Going from how I think in general alone, if I was motivated to see how something worked, guilt tripping me would be highly ineffective and would actually work against you (the person trying to protect his work).
It depends on what you want to achieve.
If you have a super secret implementation stuff that give you an edge competitively or is used for multiplayer then by all means implement some obfuscation.
If all you care about is to not be cloned whole sale then a explicit license and appeal to emotion is good enough.
I use Workflowy but you can check out Dynalist as its the better offer.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

adnzzzzZ wrote:isn't the idea of making LÖVE only for open-source projects similar to how the GPL license works? Isn't that a bad idea?
LÖVE isn't only for open-source projects.