A new tycoon game (very early dev)

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Smooth203
Prole

A new tycoon game (very early dev)

Post by Smooth203 »

I'm a newbie with coding and I've decided to delve into writing a tycoon game similar to 'Game Dev Tycoon' but mine is a music tycoon where you will have to create metaphorical songs and try and be the best. Currently I'm still developing the bare bones game and just thought I'd post on here to see if anyone has any ideas or tips to help me create the game! Thanks! :awesome: :awesome:
Beluki
Prole

Re: A new tycoon game (very early dev)

Post by Beluki »

Hi!

Game Dev Tycoon is essentially a turn-based game, so if I were to implement someone like it, my first step would be to prototype a text-based version, with the goal of nailing the mechanics as much as possible before starting to work on art assets, sound, saving games, menu systems, etc...

(this version would be like a language repl, entering commands such as "new song", "sales" or "top", without anything fancy)

Good luck with your game!
Smooth203
Prole

Post by Smooth203 »

Beluki wrote:Hi!

Game Dev Tycoon is essentially a turn-based game, so if I were to implement someone like it, my first step would be to prototype a text-based version, with the goal of nailing the mechanics as much as possible before starting to work on art assets, sound, saving games, menu systems, etc...

(this version would be like a language repl, entering commands such as "new song", "sales" or "top", without anything fancy)

Good luck with your game!
I see, thank you!
Tesselode
Party member

Post by Tesselode »

If you are a newbie at coding, you should not start with a tycoon game. I'm fairly experienced and I wouldn't even think about doing a tycoon game. Games like that are a huge undertaking. I would start *very* small, like pong small. Then you can do breakout. Then you can do space invanders, etc, etc.

Trust me, games are a lot more work than you would think.
CanadianGamer
Party member

Post by CanadianGamer »

Tesselode wrote:If you are a newbie at coding, you should not start with a tycoon game. I'm fairly experienced and I wouldn't even think about doing a tycoon game. Games like that are a huge undertaking. I would start *very* small, like pong small. Then you can do breakout. Then you can do space invanders, etc, etc.

I agree I just finished my first game and it took me quite a while and I've been coding for a reasonably long time.
My serious itch.io page:
https://pentamonium-studios.itch.io/
My less serious itch.io page:
http://canadiangamer.itch.io
Smooth203
Prole

Post by Smooth203 »

Tesselode wrote:If you are a newbie at coding, you should not start with a tycoon game. I'm fairly experienced and I wouldn't even think about doing a tycoon game. Games like that are a huge undertaking. I would start *very* small, like pong small. Then you can do breakout. Then you can do space invanders, etc, etc.

Thanks. I'm seeing what you mean right now.. It's a bit of a ballache but hey, I might come back to it later on :neko: anyway, I'll look at doing a simpler game!

This is what I got up to, I'm proud of myself actually, even though it isn't a lot :P
The .love
Attachments
MT.love
(10.83 KiB) Downloaded 142 times