Super Shooter 2.0 - A challenging retro 2D shooter

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Ikroth
Citizen

Super Shooter 2.0 - A challenging retro 2D shooter

Post by Ikroth »

UPDATED 2016/1/10

Super Shooter is a retro style, geometric themed top-down arcade shooter. Enemies spawn in waves and you must defeat all of them before moving on to the next. Beat the boss, Megabyte, and try to set the highest score possible!

Hi,

Nuthen (Nuthen224) and I have just released a huge update to our game, Super Shooter. It adds new characters, a highscore screen, improved graphics, and numerous bugfixes and improvements. In addition, the game is now available on itch.io.

If you finish the game, we'd love to hear your feedback on it, and tell us your best score!

New in version 2.0
  • Highscore list
  • New characters
  • Improved graphics
  • Additional sound effects
  • Improved enemy behavior
  • Numerous bugfixes and improvements
Length: about 15 - 20 minutes
GitHub: https://github.com/camchenry/super_shooter
Itch.io: http://ikroth.itch.io/super-shooter

Attachments
super_shooter.love
Requires LÖVE2D 0.10.0
(7.8 MiB) Downloaded 211 times
Last edited by Ikroth on Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ulydev
Party member

Re: Super Shooter - retro style shooter

Post by Ulydev »

The UI looks so polished, great job! The music reminds me of VVVVVV somehow - which is a good thing, I guess. ;)
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

Very nice! Only issue is that my framerate (or is it my brain rate?) seems to be low enough for the direction of bullets not be immediately clear, so it would be beneficial if the reflected ones were colored blue and perhaps even tails.

https://youtu.be/Cks2O2BERj8

It's nice how subtle the life bar and the screen shake are.

You might want to experiment with minimal random pitch changes of the sounds for subtle variety.

I like Crimsonland on Android and this has some of its feel. I'd love to play SupShoo on my Android too. :)
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Ikroth
Citizen

Post by Ikroth »

Hi everyone,

We are very excited to say that we have just released a large update to the game! Please refer to the main post for a link to the download, and give us your feedback.
CrackedP0t
Citizen

Re: Super Shooter 2.0 - A challenging retro 2D shooter

Post by CrackedP0t »

Fun! You should probably work on optimization though. I could run it on my discrete graphics card, but my integrated one lagged like mad.
/人 ◕‿‿◕ 人\
Here, have an umlaut. Ö
Ikroth
Citizen

Post by Ikroth »

CrackedP0t wrote:Fun! You should probably work on optimization though. I could run it on my discrete graphics card, but my integrated one lagged like mad.
Which integrated graphics do you have? Does turning off the shaders / particles help?
farzher
Prole

Post by farzher »

It's a little weird that you're able to go so far off screen, lol.
Enemies shouldn't go to such a low opacity, you should put a minimum on it.
Gameplay is pretty solid!
butts
CrackedP0t
Citizen

Post by CrackedP0t »

Ikroth wrote:
CrackedP0t wrote:Fun! You should probably work on optimization though. I could run it on my discrete graphics card, but my integrated one lagged like mad.
Which integrated graphics do you have? Does turning off the shaders / particles help?
My CPU is: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz

Actually, it's fine now, which is weird. Earlier even the gui's animations were lagging, though.
/人 ◕‿‿◕ 人\
Here, have an umlaut. Ö
Hydrogen Maniac
Citizen

Post by Hydrogen Maniac »

wow this game is great! First I'd like to mention the suprisingly extensive options menu and the fact that this game ran at 900fps on my machine which is crazy seeing how alot of other indie games with similar graphical fidelity gets absoultely crushed by SS2.0 in this category. The simplistic graphics looks great and fits the game like a glove and the same can be said about the sound effects and the catchy music.

The shooting is best described as 2d-topdown-painkiller with you kiting enemies around while you're either trying to shoot at the big herd of basic red enemies that are closely pursuing you or trying to shoot at the enemies who either take advantage of your movement or simpy ignores it.

The only thing that I think holds this game back is the fact that it forces you to start over from the start every time you die which makes the game a bit too repetitive. A good way of combating this would be to either have levels be randomly generated or have the game pick levels randomly from a pool of increasingly difficult levels until you get to the boss.

Anyways now when I'm done writing this review/ramble I'm definetly going to back to playing the game.

I give this game a: :) /10
I'm way too sober for this...
Ikroth
Citizen

Post by Ikroth »

Hydrogen Maniac wrote:wow this game is great! First I'd like to mention the suprisingly extensive options menu and the fact that this game ran at 900fps on my machine which is crazy seeing how alot of other indie games with similar graphical fidelity gets absoultely crushed by SS2.0 in this category. The simplistic graphics looks great and fits the game like a glove and the same can be said about the sound effects and the catchy music.

The shooting is best described as 2d-topdown-painkiller with you kiting enemies around while you're either trying to shoot at the big herd of basic red enemies that are closely pursuing you or trying to shoot at the enemies who either take advantage of your movement or simpy ignores it.

The only thing that I think holds this game back is the fact that it forces you to start over from the start every time you die which makes the game a bit too repetitive. A good way of combating this would be to either have levels be randomly generated or have the game pick levels randomly from a pool of increasingly difficult levels until you get to the boss.

Anyways now when I'm done writing this review/ramble I'm definetly going to back to playing the game.

I give this game a: :) /10
Thanks for the feedback!

We are looking into decreasing the repetitiveness, possibly by adding checkpoints after every boss, or some sort of way to speed up the game. Other game modes are a possibility, too. It could be an endless horde game mode, where you have to kill as many enemies as you can before you die.