Can you point me to a good, simple, up to date game example?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
OldBoy
Prole

Can you point me to a good, simple, up to date game example?

Post by OldBoy »

For the past few weeks I've been learning Lua, and finally I feel confident enough to try LÖVE.
I'm looking for a simple game example with states that works with version 0.10.x.

Something like this would be perfect. If you are familiar with ruby + gosu, you can try it,
if not, it's a simple space shooter, with three states/rooms (main menu, play game, and credits),
that I printed on 20 pages of paper and used to learn.

I need example of similar simplicity/size to try learning LÖVE

PS
I have searched github, and found dozen of games, but most of them are not up to date with latest version of LÖVE.
Plu
Inner party member

Re: Can you point me to a good, simple, up to date game example?

Post by Plu »

Have you looked through the Games & Creations board on the forum?

viewforum.php?f=14

It should have all sorts of examples, work in progress, and complete games.
kevin.o'mara
Prole

Post by kevin.o'mara »

Hi OldBoy,

I'm new to Lua and LÖVE myself. I just completed a basic "Pong" game which you may like to take a look at: https://github.com/kevin-d-omara/Pong.

It uses the latest LÖVE (version 0.10.1) and has 4 gamestates: main menu, in game, pause, and game over. Complete with options to switch between them. There's also an option to change the music volume and re-map controls. I'm new to game development, so my code/organization certainly isn't the best. But, hopefully you can still follow my work and learn from it! :awesome:

P.S. The pause button is "escape". I figured people instinctively know that "escape" == "pause/menu" so I didn't list that control in the menu.
OldBoy
Prole

Post by OldBoy »

your Pong game is actually one of the best working examples I have so far, thank you :)
Btw, I don't know if it's intentional, but there is unnecessary 70 Mb folder "Downloads" included in a zip file :crazy:
kevin.o'mara
Prole

Post by kevin.o'mara »

Awesome! I'm really happy to hear that :)

Yes, the 70 Mb "Downloads" folder was intentional. I'm trying to practice Game Distribution (i.e. turning the source into a single executable). After all, not everyone has LÖVE installed.

An example is Mari0: http://stabyourself.net/mari0/. At the bottom of the page you can download a single-file executable for Windows, OSX, or Linux. By the way, I got my idea for "game states" from the Mari0 source code. You might like to take a look through its source code too. Also, it's a fantastically wacky fun game! :awesome:

[edit] P.S. If I had a website or somewhere else to host my games I would put the "Downloads" there and remove them from bloating the GitHub page. For now they will stay on GitHub though. :P
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

Use Dropbox, Love forums atachments or GitHub releases, even GDrive can provide public links

Made an issue in GitHub so that you delete the Download folder and use the appropiate releases and tags instead
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)