D3 vs Löve

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Reenen
Prole

D3 vs Löve

Post by Reenen »

So I was thinking of creating an "applet" in D3js.org (for work), but then I thought Löve could probably do the same just better? Only difference being that the one is standalone, and the other is Browser?

How good is Löve with database access?
raidho36
Party member

Re: D3 vs Löve

Post by raidho36 »

If there is a LUA library for database of your choice, then it can do it.
airstruck
Party member

Post by airstruck »

Reenen wrote:So I was thinking of creating an "applet" in D3js.org (for work), but then I thought Löve could probably do the same just better?
Without knowing anything about your "applet," it's not really possible to know which tool would be better for the job.
Only difference being that the one is standalone, and the other is Browser?
No, they're pretty much entirely different things. D3 is a declarative API for visualizing data, and Love is a platform for making games. If one of them is at all useful for whatever you're doing, I'd say chances are pretty high the other one is much less useful.
How good is Löve with database access?
Love knows nothing about databases. Neither does D3, so that's one similarity, I guess. Apparently there's an (unrelated) DBMS also called D3, maybe you're confusing the two? If you can give more information about what you're trying to do, you'll probably get some useful advice.
Reenen
Prole

Post by Reenen »

Thanks for everyone's responses.

So I want to do charting, or data representations (typically bubbles - but often with images on them), but I want my interface to _change_ the data on the bubbles.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1Sbs ... sp=sharing - an interface I was thinking of.

So it's relatively easy to represent 147 circles with a number on them in D3, but similarly easy to do in Love, if the sizes of the circles are read from a CSV / Database connection.

Essentially (for this app) I have a single "table" that is Number and Date (prepopulated), and X extra columns (some categories, and some numeric). Lets call it Color, Price, Cost, Origin,

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

So on some kind of interface I say I want to assign colors to circles. Then I can drag circles to different colors at the top, and thereby assigning a color to each "row".

Essentially I want to make an easy and fun interface for boring data entry, as well as keep the data well visualised..
Last edited by Reenen on Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
airstruck
Party member

Post by airstruck »

I'm not seeing where you'd really get much benefit from D3 for this design, do the circles have some relationship to one another, like a graph? If so I'd probably stick with D3; if not I think the choice really comes down to what platform you want to release on (web or native).
Reenen
Prole

Post by Reenen »

D3 was just the first platform I investigated. I actually think Love would work better (wasn't there a Love for Chrome extension a while back?). Yes they have their relative sizes and times as a relationship. (Also they all represent the same "type" of circle in the end).

In both technologies I have about the same experience (Love maybe a week more), so I have a long learning curve either way.