The Salty Sea

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Jeeper
Party member

Re: The Salty Sea

Post by Jeeper »

Crossing wrote:
Jeeper wrote:
Crossing wrote:Today, I added a "Fishing Level" which caps out at 99, each fish gives a different amount of xp.
Fishing Level gives you Extra Chance to catch something good.
the max % it adds is 7% at 99 fishing.

I've also added a Player Sailing level which goes up based upon the distance you have moved.
It also caps out at 99.
the max amount of movement speed that is gained is 25 at 99 sailing.
Isn't 7% quite low? It would be very hard to tell the difference between a coin that had 7% more chance of landing on tails than on heads. Leveling 99 levels to not feel any kind of difference would feel quite bad.

Unless you mean percent points. Like lets say a fish is very rare and has only a 0.1% chance of being captured by default. And then at lvl 99 it has 7.1%. That would be a 7100% increase.
So, right now the chance to get an "Ultra-Rare" Fish which at the moment the "Drop rate" would be 2 in every 100, or 2% chance. So as you level up fishing, it progressively becomes a better chance. up to a max of 9 in every 100. seeing as how rare they are. no i don't think they are quite low. Keep in mind i haven't really dove into the economic system yet. I will probably be tweaking the drop rate.

Just to provide a little more information. Each sector in the world is different. For example, the middle of the map, Only contains common and a few uncommon fish.

The far right corner only contains ultra rare fish. Basically the background of that sector is it's freezing, and only a couple of species can survive. So lets say you are fishing in that sector at 99 fishing. You have a 9% chance or 9 in 100, to catch a ultra rare fish. the rest of the time you will catch nothing because nothing else is there. Basically what i'm trying to make is different strategy. do you want to test your luck and see if you can catch super expensive stuff. or stay in the other sectors where the Salt Flakes (Currency) is more consistent. I don't want you to always catch a fish. I want you to explore everything you can do to make money which I haven't added yet, like gambling, creating a company, fighting, go under watering diving and salvaging, finding chest. The main focus isn't just fishing.
Right, so from 2 in 100 to 9 in 100 is a 350% increase :). What I thought you mean would have been from 2 in 100 to 2.14 in 100.
Sir_Silver
Party member

Post by Sir_Silver »

The game idea sounds cool man, good luck with it!
Crossing
Prole

Post by Crossing »

Sir_Silver wrote:The game idea sounds cool man, good luck with it!
Thanks!
Crossing
Prole

Post by Crossing »

So, i decided to take a different route with this game, i wanted something that can be a little more tactical. I decided to make it hex based, so i can use my hex engine to easily make custiomizable maps. I haven't been able to work on the game a whole bunch because of work however i should have an updated love file for you guys by next Monday.

edit: Also, changing the style to hex based, makes the artwork a lot more easier to create for me, and making it so i don't have to create a ton of it.