help instaling in kali linux

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Pedin
Prole

help instaling in kali linux

Post by Pedin »

hy guys, i have changed my os to kali, and i dont know how install love2d in kali, some help?
ken.athomos
Citizen

Re: help instaling in kali linux

Post by ken.athomos »

Hey there!

I don't really have a good grasp on Linux but I have some experience with it (and yes I do know Kali Linux, but only a tiny bit).

Currently, I'm assuming that you have not taken a look at the wiki. Please take a look here: https://love2d.org/wiki/Getting_Started
MrKaKisen
Prole

Post by MrKaKisen »

Kali Linux is based on Debian, so search for how to install it on Debian as that should work on Kali too.
Tegu
Prole

Post by Tegu »

First off, are you sure you really want to install LÖVE in Kali Linux? I don't know what you are using it for, but beware that Kali Linux is not meant to be used as a normal desktop system.

For example, by default it only has one user, the superuser "root", which should not be used for normal usage. Kali Linux is aimed for penetration testing where many tools require superuser rights. Read more on the Kali Documentation: http://docs.kali.org/introduction/shoul ... kali-linux

I recommend using some other Linux distribution for normal usage.

If you (or whoever finds this post at some point) still want to install LÖVE on Kali Linux, read on.

If an older version of LÖVE (0.9.1) suffices for you, it is included in the repositories and you can install it like any other program in the repositories. Type the following in Terminal:

Code: Select all

apt install love
If you want the newest version (0.10.2), you need to do something else. As Kali Linux is based on Debian, it looks like you can use the .deb packages that are provided for Ubuntu (also based on Debian). Download the packages love and liblove on the LÖVE main page and install them in Terminal. Run these in the directory where you downloaded the .deb files (the filenames depend on whether they are 32-bit or 64-bit, choose according to your system).

dpkg -i liblove0_0.10.2ppa1_i386.deb
The previous command will say that not all dependencies are installed. Here's how to install them:

apt-get -f install
Finally, install the love itself.

dpkg -i love_0.10.2ppa1_i386.deb
Now you should be able to run

love
(at least I could in Kali 2016.2).

Another way could be to install LÖVE via their custom PPA repository, but it looked tedious on Kali Linux. https://www.blackmoreops.com/2014/02/21 ... epository/
Pedin
Prole

Post by Pedin »

Thanks guys, I was able to install love, on the system, I'm using it because the computer does not allow installing another linux system and I do not want any more windows
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

Pedin wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:42 pm Thanks guys, I was able to install love, on the system, I'm using it because the computer does not allow installing another linux system and I do not want any more windows
what do you mean it doesn't allow installing a different linux system?
I can't imagine a system that would/could restrict you like that, or do you mean you cannot install two linux-es side by side?

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end
Pedin
Prole

Post by Pedin »

s-ol wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:32 pm
Pedin wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:42 pm Thanks guys, I was able to install love, on the system, I'm using it because the computer does not allow installing another linux system and I do not want any more windows
I can't imagine a system that would/could restrict you like that, or do you mean you cannot install two linux-es side by side?
i cant instal another system cuz my bios is UEFI and dont have legacy option, i install kali linux with contraption
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

Pedin wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:29 am
s-ol wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:32 pm
i cant instal another system cuz my bios is UEFI and dont have legacy option, i install kali linux with contraption
There are a lot of UEFI bootloaders and they should be available on nearly all linux distributions (by now): https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ca ... ot_loaders

For example I am running Arch Linux with systemd-boot right now. Since ubuntu has also switched to systemd, I imagine you could set it up the same as well. I am also dual-booting windows with this setup, and it works very well.

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end
Pedin
Prole

Post by Pedin »

thx, i will install
xNick1
Party member

Post by xNick1 »

I've compiled it from source some months ago in a debian install. Just download the source from the bitbucket page cloning the repo. Then use the install script! Remember to install the missing dependencies!