Cannot open a game in 0.10.2

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Swaggy-G
Prole

Cannot open a game in 0.10.2

Post by Swaggy-G »

Hello. I am currently doing the CS50G online course provided by Harvard. The first assignment consists of modifying a file of Pong to implement a basic AI, but I'm having trouble even getting the game opened.
I am using LÖVE 0.10.2 on mac (before anyone asks, this is the version we're supposed to be using for the course). I tried using the instruction detailed on https://love2d.org/wiki/Getting_Started, but with no luck. Dropping the assignment0 folder (the one that contains the game's files) on the love app, as well as typing "open -n -a love /Users/[My username]/Desktop/assignment0" in the terminal leads to the same result: LÖVE opens, but gives me this screen: https://love2d.org/imgmirrur/Ctk7Cu4.png
What's weird is that if I use the latest version instead, Pong does open, but I get an error message about a variable being nil or something.And if I write a path to a file that does not exist in 0.10.2 it tells me the path does not exist.
Am I missing something? Did the instructions for opening games on the "getting started" page change between versions?
hoistbypetard
Prole

Re: Cannot open a game in 0.10.2

Post by hoistbypetard »

I'm doing that course too. Definitely stick to 0.10.2 until you are very comfortable with the differences. I'm probably going to use 11.3 for my final project, now that I am getting ready to start that, FWIW.

Does '/Users/[My username]/Desktop/assignment0' directly contain main.lua? The folder you open using love needs to have a main.lua file or you see the "No Game" screen you took a shot of. The directions have not changed. But your 0.10.2 launch is not getting a folder with a 'main.lua' file at the top level, so it's showing the "No Game" scereen.
Swaggy-G
Prole

Post by Swaggy-G »

hoistbypetard wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:03 am I'm doing that course too. Definitely stick to 0.10.2 until you are very comfortable with the differences. I'm probably going to use 11.3 for my final project, now that I am getting ready to start that, FWIW.

Does '/Users/[My username]/Desktop/assignment0' directly contain main.lua? The folder you open using love needs to have a main.lua file or you see the "No Game" screen you took a shot of. The directions have not changed. But your 0.10.2 launch is not getting a folder with a 'main.lua' file at the top level, so it's showing the "No Game" scereen.
The assignment0 folder does contain a main.lua file... I have not modified the folder the course gave us in any way.
hoistbypetard
Prole

Post by hoistbypetard »

In that case, try using the second method on the wiki page to run it and see if you can get a better error message.

Code: Select all

/Applications/love.app/Contents/MacOS/love /Users/[My username]/Desktop/assignment0
I don't have a mac handy to try on right now, but I just re-downloaded the zip and confirmed that 0.10.2 runs it fine here (Linux).