[Solved] Animation plays differently when mirroring and when not

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
AlexCalv
Prole

[Solved] Animation plays differently when mirroring and when not

Post by AlexCalv »

Having a weird problem, this video might help visualize it.
https://love2d.org/imgmirrur/48kJWdy.mp4
Basically the draw code I'm using for my left facing animation works exactly how it should but when I draw the animation for the right side it looks..off. My player's head doesn't seem to move with the body even though it's all connected in the png file, there's also a weird offset happening when the run animation is playing but only for the non-mirrored(right facing) animation.

Code: Select all

function player.draw()
	local playerScaling = 2
	for i,v in ipairs(player) do
		love.graphics.setColor(1, 1, 1)
		--width is used here to calculate offset when mirroring texture
		local plrWidth = v.animationTable[math.floor(v.current_frame)]:getWidth() * playerScaling
		local plrHeight = v.animationTable[math.floor(v.current_frame)]:getHeight() * playerScaling
		v.width, v.height = plrWidth, plrHeight

--flips player's texture when switching directions
		if v.dir == "right" then
			love.graphics.draw(v.animationTable[math.floor(v.current_frame)], v.x, v.y, 0, playerScaling, playerScaling, 0, 0)
		elseif v.dir == "left" then
			love.graphics.draw(v.animationTable[math.floor(v.current_frame)], v.x, v.y, 0, -playerScaling, playerScaling, plrWidth / playerScaling, 0)
		end
	end
end
plr.animationTable is just a table of different frames.

player_run = {}
		player_run[1] = love.graphics.newImage("resources/textures/player/run/1.png")
		player_run[2] = love.graphics.newImage("resources/textures/player/run/2.png")
		player_run[3] = love.graphics.newImage("resources/textures/player/run/3.png")
		player_run[4] = love.graphics.newImage("resources/textures/player/run/4.png")
		player_run[5] = love.graphics.newImage("resources/textures/player/run/5.png")
		player_run[6] = love.graphics.newImage("resources/textures/player/run/6.png")
		player_run[7] = love.graphics.newImage("resources/textures/player/run/7.png")
		player_run[8] = love.graphics.newImage("resources/textures/player/run/8.png")
-Edit: It seems like specifically frame 6 of the run animation is super offset but only for the right facing draw
Last edited by AlexCalv on Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GVovkiv
Party member

Re: Animation plays differently when mirroring and when not

Post by GVovkiv »

My guess is that it's related to "plrWidth / playerScaling"
AlexCalv
Prole

Post by AlexCalv »

GVovkiv wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:18 pm My guess is that it's related to "plrWidth / playerScaling"
Removing that makes the left facing direction consistent with the right facing direction's problems. Do you have any idea how I could fix the right side?
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

AlexCalv wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:28 pm
GVovkiv wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:18 pm My guess is that it's related to "plrWidth / playerScaling"
Removing that makes the left facing direction consistent with the right facing direction's problems. Do you have any idea how I could fix the right side?
Welp, from:

local plrWidth = v.animationTable[math.floor(v.current_frame)]:getWidth() * playerScaling
	local plrHeight = v.animationTable[math.floor(v.current_frame)]:getHeight() * playerScaling
Your current width and height depends on image size
From gif (maybe .love file?) i can tell, that every image have different width, so that may cause problem
Make sure that every image have equal width, e.g, only 100
AlexCalv
Prole

Post by AlexCalv »

GVovkiv wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:52 pm
AlexCalv wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:28 pm
Welp, from:

Your current width and height depends on image size
From gif (maybe .love file?) i can tell, that every image have different width, so that may cause problem
Make sure that every image have equal width, e.g, only 100
Hm.. I figured the way I'm doing it would be an easy way to adjust the player's hitbox automatically if they crouch or jump for example. I'll keep toying with it for the time being. I just think it's strange that the mirrored(left) draw works better than the unaltered one(right).
ReFreezed
Party member

Post by ReFreezed »

The origin arguments shouldn't be scaled. plrWidth/playerScaling should probably just be plrWidth. But here's some advice: instead of drawing the sprite from the top left/right corner, draw it from the middle (and from the feet because things stand on the ground, and sprites are probably usually going to be aligned to the ground). So, something like this:

local scaleX = (isFacingLeft and -1 or 1)
love.graphics.draw(image, x,y, 0, scaleX,1, image:getWidth()/2,image:getHeight())
This way, doing scaling and rotation and whatever else is very easy because there's no difference in how left-facing and right-facing objects render.
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
AlexCalv
Prole

Post by AlexCalv »

ReFreezed wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:40 pm The origin arguments shouldn't be scaled. plrWidth/playerScaling should probably just be plrWidth. But here's some advice: instead of drawing the sprite from the top left/right corner, draw it from the middle (and from the feet because things stand on the ground, and sprites are probably usually going to be aligned to the ground). So, something like this:

local scaleX = (isFacingLeft and -1 or 1)
love.graphics.draw(image, x,y, 0, scaleX,1, image:getWidth()/2,image:getHeight())
This way, doing scaling and rotation and whatever else is very easy because there's no difference in how left-facing and right-facing objects render.
Thank you! This solved my issue.