[SOLVED][kde/x11][ running love program causes graphical glitches, removes window transparency

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
bedsores
Prole

[SOLVED][kde/x11][ running love program causes graphical glitches, removes window transparency

Post by bedsores »

hi all,
i apologize if this has been asked elsewhere, it's a lil difficult to search.
when i turn on any love2d program (including the cute no game screen), a few graphical glitches occur in my window manager. most notably, a window that uses transparency (as a telestrator) completely loses its transparency once a love program activates. video demonstration link here: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... arency.mp4. i'm not sure what log files to provide (nothing shows up on Xorg.0.log). if anyone has encountered issues like this, please let me know!! and thank you very much for your time.

Code: Select all

Kubuntu 21.04 **edit: AND 22.04**
KDE Plasma 5.21.4 **edit: AND 5.24.4**

nvidia driver 495.46
compositor X11

Love 11.3 (Mysterious Mysteries)
TEMPORARY SOLUTION: thanks to MadByte, i was able to disable individual applications' ability to suspend the compistor. however, as that's not totally ideal, i'd love to find a way to block love and only love from suspending the compositor.
Last edited by bedsores on Sat May 07, 2022 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Re: [kde/x11][ running love program causes graphical glitches, removes window transparency

Post by BrotSagtMist »

First of, try loading any other sdl game to see if they have the same problem.
Second, check if this is a kde only problem, if so try asking in their support chat too.
obey
MadByte
Party member

Re: [kde/x11][ running love program causes graphical glitches, removes window transparency

Post by MadByte »

As a workaround you can uncheck the marked checkbox in the display settings, under "Compositor" (sorry for german langauage and the error message :D). It will stop apps from disabling the compositing in general. This is done to save resources while i.e playing a game.

bedsores
Prole

Post by bedsores »

MadByte wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:30 pm As a workaround you can uncheck the marked checkbox in the display settings, under "Compositor" (sorry for german langauage and the error message :D). It will stop apps from disabling the compositing in general. This is done to save resources while i.e playing a game.
this works!! thank you so much!!
i will try to look into ways to prevent one application specifically from suspending the compositor, as opposed to all of them. regardless, thank you, this is allowing my life to move forward ^-^