Linux OpenGL stuttering when moving character (love attached)

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
zorg
Party member

Re: Linux OpenGL stuttering when moving character (love attached)

Post by zorg »

knuxyl wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:09 pm (...) I am also using luajit compiler to bytecode all the lua files to maybe improve performance but that has no effect. (...)
Just to handle a misunderstanding, turning lua files into bytecode does not speed up anything besides the loading of scripts from disk. No runtime performance effect exists from that.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
knuxyl
Citizen

Post by knuxyl »

slime wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:57 pm
knuxyl wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:21 pm It has to be the xwayland mutter setup, that's all that is different. I hope love2d devs plan on supporting wayland, that would more than likely fix this issue.
love doesn't know about wayland versus x11 on its own. You can make sure you have a recent version of SDL and configure it to use Wayland by default (it's not enabled by default in SDL because wayland is/was still not quite ready for it I believe - there were some pretty major issues SDL ran into in various parts, although maybe most of them are fixed now).
Well I tried setting this environment variable
SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland
and love loads without a window border/titlebar, and still stutters.

It can't be the gpu because the same problem happens on AMD, Intel, and Nvidia gpus (wx 4100, p630, t1000) which are all very different gpus.

I put FPS on screen and when it stutters it drops to about 57-59 and starts climbing again to 60 until the next stutter.

So it's not the gpu/driver or wayland/x11. I don't know wth. Maybe my specs will give some clues?

Thinkstation P340 SFF
Intel Xeon W-1290T (10core/20thread 35W) (equivalent to 10th gen intel core series)
AMD Radeon Pro WX 4100 (has full x16 available, but card only uses x8)
2 x 32GB DDR4 3200 ECC memory

Arch Linux
Kernel 5.19.3
Gnome 42.4
Mesa 22.1.6

Love 11.4
OpenGL 4.6

I just tried disabling all my extensions and it made a big improvement, but the game still stutters pretty bad, just not nearly as common. Maybe 25% of the time that it was. I've been watching system monitor and nothing gets over 1.25% cpu usage. I'm guessing there is something installed causing random massive cpu spikes.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

knuxyl wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:44 pm Well I tried setting this environment variable
SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland

It can't be the gpu because the same problem happens on AMD, Intel, and Nvidia gpus (wx 4100, p630, t1000) which are all very different gpus.

I put FPS on screen and when it stutters it drops to about 57-59 and starts climbing again to 60 until the next stutter.

So it's not the gpu/driver or wayland/x11. I don't know wth. Maybe my specs will give some clues?

Thinkstation P340 SFF
Intel Xeon W-1290T (10core/20thread 35W) (equivalent to 10th gen intel core series)

Arch Linux
Kernel 5.19.3
Gnome 42.4
Mesa 22.1.6

Love 11.4
OpenGL 4.6

I just tried disabling all my extensions and it made a big improvement, but the game still stutters pretty bad, just not nearly as common. Maybe 25% of the time that it was. I've been watching system monitor and nothing gets over 1.25% cpu usage. I'm guessing there is something installed causing random massive cpu spikes.
Did you tried to check games on different distros?
My guess will be, that this has to do something with kernel level stuff, such as how it was configured to manage processes?
Because i don't see such problem on fedora, so, maybe, they done something right in their distro.
knuxyl
Citizen

Post by knuxyl »

GVovkiv wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:13 pm
knuxyl wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:44 pm Well I tried setting this environment variable
SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland

Thinkstation P340 SFF

Arch Linux
Kernel 5.19.3
Gnome 42.4
Mesa 22.1.6

Love 11.4
OpenGL 4.6

Did you tried to check games on different distros?
My guess will be, that this has to do something with kernel level stuff, such as how it was configured to manage processes?
Because i don't see such problem on fedora, so, maybe, they done something right in their distro.
I haven't looked into the governors or schedulers in the arch kernel. I only settled on Arch because Debian and Fedora were giving me tens kinds of hell with my nvidia gpu. Thinking about it now, I would probably switch to either one of those if gnome was updated more often. It's still a hot mess and I have the latest, earlier versions were much worse.