ChatGPT proposes and creates a game in love2d ( artificial intelligence scares me )

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
knorke
Party member

Re: ChatGPT proposes and creates a game in love2d ( artificial intelligence scares me )

Post by knorke »

GVovkiv wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:15 am ..And I more then enough sure, that even 50% of them (meaning, libraries authors) never mention origins of their: formulas, ideas, code snippets, etc or do it only partially. And nobody really questions that some parts of said code might be copy-paste or copy-paste with some remixing (like, formatting code snippets to fit library code) like this AI do (?). ...
Of course wrong licensing does happen with humans, too.

When some random dude uses your work without credit (for whatever reason) then that is annoying.
If he brags "I created this!" then it is worse.
However, that is a risk we have to live with and many people feel the good outweighs the bad.
It is another level when a company creates a remix-bot, knowing full well that it well never respect licenses, to make money from the collective free work of millions of users.
zorg
Party member

Re: ChatGPT proposes and creates a game in love2d ( artificial intelligence scares me )

Post by zorg »

I agree with the company making money off of licensed stuff point being bad; if you had the means to build up the model yourself though, and only used appropriately licensed stuff (even just your own code), i wouldn't agree against using that machine learning thing (which isn't really AI, regardless of what marketing departments want you to call it) to generate code for you... analogously to the same take with your own / permissive music, for instance.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

GVovkiv wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:15 am And I more then enough sure, that even 50% of them (meaning, libraries authors) never mention origins of their: formulas, ideas, code snippets, etc or do it only partially.
Just for clarity, formulas and ideas are not copyrightable. Some ideas can be patentable though. In any case, you're not obliged to mention their origin.

Code snippets, on the other hand, are copyrightable and you have to obey their license whatever it is, which by default is that you can't use the work at all.
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

pgimeno wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:25 pm Just for clarity, formulas and ideas are not copyrightable. Some ideas can be patentable though. In any case, you're not obliged to mention their origin.
Considering that we live in world where idea of using loading screen mini-games where patented by Namco https://web.archive.org/web/20170804221 ... /5,718,632 (I think this patent expired on 2015 year) or micro-transactions based ranking in multiplayer games by Activision https://web.archive.org/web/20171018035 ... PN/9789406 and more. I think there will be more of that in future, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone will come up with how to patent some formulas or ideas that you think is not copyrightable, but boom, on next day everything will change.