Hello Everyone, I'm Bug_Coder.

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Bug_Coder
Prole

Hello Everyone, I'm Bug_Coder.

Post by Bug_Coder »

Hi there, Greetings from Ireland.

I discovered the LOVE framework recently and I'm very impressed with it's ease of use and capabilities and so after a week of browsing these forums anonymously I've decided to sign up.

I first learned to program in the 1980's on my ZX Spectrum and as a hobbyist I've been writing bug ridden code in various languages ever since.

Looking forward to being a part of this community and getting to grips with Lua \ LOVE.

all the best for now,

Bug Coder.
MikeHart
Prole

Re: Hello Everyone, I'm Bug_Coder.

Post by MikeHart »

Welcome. I am not a regular here but have always loved Lua and different game devs that uses its language.
milon
Party member

Post by milon »

Welcome!
Bug_Coder wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:17 am I first learned to program in the 1980's on my ZX Spectrum and as a hobbyist I've been writing bug ridden code in various languages ever since.

Looking forward to being a part of this community and getting to grips with Lua \ LOVE.
Haha, me too! Except it was a Commodore 64 in my case. I definitely struggled to wrap my head around some of the more unique Lua features, but keep at it and you'll eventually get it. :)
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
MikeHart
Prole

Post by MikeHart »

Aren’t we old? Coded a 2 player snake game back in 1981 with just the manual and pen and paper. Went the next day to my friends house and typed that into his machine. These were the fun days.
My first machine was a C64, then a CPC64, a C64 again. Then Amiga 1000, Atari Stf1024, then Amiga 500. From that PCs and Macs. Wish I had never sold any of these machines.
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

Bug_Coder wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:17 am Hi there, Greetings from Ireland.

I discovered the LOVE framework recently and I'm very impressed with it's ease of use and capabilities and so after a week of browsing these forums anonymously I've decided to sign up.

I first learned to program in the 1980's on my ZX Spectrum and as a hobbyist I've been writing bug ridden code in various languages ever since.

all the best for now,

Bug Coder.
10 PRINT "Welcome!"
20 GOTO 10
Bug_Coder
Prole

Post by Bug_Coder »

Thanks everyone for the friendly welcome.

Nice to see others of a similar age to myself still tinkering with code.

I have tons of respect for the programmers of the 8 Bit era - They crammed entire worlds for us to explore into tiny amounts of ram
and kept us entertained for hours.

If I am to do anything serious with the Love framework it will be a homage to the isometric adventure games of that time.
Bug_Coder
Prole

Post by Bug_Coder »

I'm happy to report that due to the info provided on the wiki I've had an absolutely painless set up process of my development environment just now on a fresh install of Linux Mint 21.2 using Sublime Text as my code editor. I'm delighted that it all went so well as I really wanted to get away from bloated IDE's such as VS Code and the like.
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

5 FOR I = 1 TO 100
15 NEXT I
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season