I made a new game with LÖVE, Your Shots Count

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
cip
Prole

I made a new game with LÖVE, Your Shots Count

Post by cip »

Hi all,

I released another game using LÖVE, Your Shots Count. It's a math arcade game, where you defeat enemies with math. Each enemy has a math question above their head, and you eliminate them by shooting at the correct answer, from one of the three that is placed next to them. There are three enemy types, each with different characteristics, as well as different reactions if you select the wrong answer.

While my first game, Typing Bullets, is a word game and you have to use almost all of the keyboard keys to play it, Your Shots Count is playable with the mouse only.

The experience of creating a game with LÖVE has been wonderful, and there was never a point where I felt that LÖVE was holding me back (pun intended?) All issues that I had while developing the game were due to my coding or logic skills.

While making this game I like to believe that I have learned some new skills, and I would like to create some tutorials about the following: implementing game states (using another awesome library included in HUMP from vrld, gamestate + the code change from pgimeno for removing a quick flash that occurred when switching between states); how to add Steam achievements using luasteam; how to use kikito's anim8 animation library; and again, share the new shaders that I ported from PixiJS for this game, which are the reflection and god ray shaders.

Thanks and please let me know if you have any questions.
togFox
Party member

Re: I made a new game with LÖVE, Your Shots Count

Post by togFox »

Congrats on the release. :)

Steam integration and shaders are things I've yet to get into.
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
cip
Prole

Re: I made a new game with LÖVE, Your Shots Count

Post by cip »

Hi togFox,

Thank you for your comment! :)

Also, congrats on your game as well, Backyard Gridiron Manager. It seems like a very complex game. So far, what part do you enjoy the most to code: the management part, with coding in the stats and how they affect the players, or is it coding the match that is played on the field?

Steam Achievement integration (so far I have only implemented Achievements) was straightforward to accomplish, and I hope to make a tutorial as soon as possible to show how I did it.

Regarding shaders: one quick way to experiment with shaders is with the excellent moonshine library by vrld (for this game I have used the fog and vignette shader from this library).

Best of luck with your games and let me know if you have any questions!