Would Love be good for me?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
LizardGamer
Prole

Would Love be good for me?

Post by LizardGamer »

Hi, I'm new to the community and if I get interested in Love you might see me more around here.

I'm just wanting to ask a couple of questions;

Could Love be used to make a Doom-Clone that could free aim (being able to look in the X,Y,Z directions)?
Is love a great place to start and learn the Lua language?
Could love be a good enough framework to make commercial games?

I'm wanting to possibly start off with Love because I have always had a love for video games (starting with the nintendo 64 in the 90's) and I've been studing games and their engines for awhile now (not on how to program them) and I thought, why don't I start to make games of my own. I thought, damn, I'm going to make a HD FPS zombie shooter and it's going to be great, and what poped up my head was me trying to learn C++ but instead me just itching my head for a couple of years. Because I knew you have to start off from basics and learn from there, thats when Love pops in front of me and I start to get interested with what I've seen.
Lol, look at all the Löve around us
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Re: Would Love be good for me?

Post by nevon »

LizardGamer wrote:Could Love be used to make a Doom-Clone that could free aim (being able to look in the X,Y,Z directions)?
It can be done, but Löve is a 2D framework, not 3D, so I wouldn't exactly recommend it.
LizardGamer wrote:Is love a great place to start and learn the Lua language?
Sure.
LizardGamer wrote:Could love be a good enough framework to make commercial games?
The question is not whether Löve is a good enough framework for making commercial games, the question is if you're good enough to make a commercial game. ;) There's nothing about Löve that makes it unsuitable for commercial games. However, Löve has no way of hiding the source code (your average player won't see it, but it's not hard to get to if you really want), so if that's a problem for you, it might not be suitable for you.
LizardGamer wrote:I thought, damn, I'm going to make a HD FPS zombie shooter and it's going to be great, and what poped up my head was me trying to learn C++ but instead me just itching my head for a couple of years. Because I knew you have to start off from basics and learn from there, thats when Love pops in front of me and I start to get interested with what I've seen.
Well, you most certainly can make an FPS in HD, but FPSs are generally made in 3D, in which case Löve is probably a bad fit.
LizardGamer
Prole

Post by LizardGamer »

nevon wrote:Well, you most certainly can make an FPS in HD, but FPSs are generally made in 3D, in which case Löve is probably a bad fit.
But I'm want to start off from basics (2D) and maybe change some of the lua code around a bit (once I've learn't lots of lua) and maybe enable 3d in opengl and load in blender models. Which I think could be a good learning experience ^^
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

LizardGamer wrote:
nevon wrote:Well, you most certainly can make an FPS in HD, but FPSs are generally made in 3D, in which case Löve is probably a bad fit.
But I'm want to start off from basics (2D) and maybe change some of the lua code around a bit (once I've learn't lots of lua) and maybe enable 3d in opengl and load in blender models. Which I think could be a good learning experience ^^
Well, you can't really take a 2D framework, build a 2D game and then flip a switch somewhere to turn it into 3D. That said, it sounds like you don't have a lot of experience in game development, and learning to program and develop games in Löve is definitely not a bad idea. You're just not going to be able to make your 3D HD Zombie FPSMMOSIM in Löve, but your experience from making 2D games is going to carry over to whatever environment you decide to work in next.

Don't get hung up on the fact that you can't make your 3D HD Zombie FPSMMOSIM in Löve though. Go ahead and learn how to make a picture move around the screen first, and then move on from there. Baby steps.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

I'd love to see a faux 3D Doom clone. That has to exist already right? Aha, but to see it in Löve would make it all the more enjoyable! Someone has to do this for a laugh :D
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
LizardGamer
Prole

Post by LizardGamer »

nevon wrote:Sounds like you don't have a lot of experience in game development, and learning to program and develop games in Löve is definitely not a bad idea. You're just not going to be able to make your 3D HD Zombie FPSMMOSIM in Löve, but your experience from making 2D games is going to carry over to whatever environment you decide to work in next.

Don't get hung up on the fact that you can't make your 3D HD Zombie FPSMMOSIM in Löve though. Go ahead and learn how to make a picture move around the screen first, and then move on from there. Baby steps.
Yeah exactly, I'm wanting to start off in 2D making little games and once I get alot of knownledge with making 2D games (as I said before up the top I researched games and their engines, not on how to program them), then I want to take a baby step into learning 3D. :crazy:

But who knows I might get addicted to making 2D games! :ultraglee: