New and LOVEing it!

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
OroscoC
Prole

New and LOVEing it!

Post by OroscoC »

Hi everyone.

I wanted to establish my newness toward the LOVE community and thought starting this topic would be the best idea. I am very new to the actions of creating a game and have always had ideas toward improving certain 2D platform mechanics and entire game ideas, just no clue how to get started or where to turn for help. I have done extensive research with multiple ways of creating games, including various already built engines and self-creating engine tutorials. Eventually I found LOVE and the simplicity of the code compared to others is what has drawn me in. I am a Graphic Designer by career choice and Electronical music producer by second hobby. I want to be able to combine my artistic ideas into games so, this is why I am here.

Any tips for someone completely new to everything code-wise would definitely help. As an artist I would be glad to contribute toward other projects whether it be music or art as well.

Thanks everyone.

http://chrisorosco.newgrounds.com/audio/ - Some of my music
http://chrisorosco.deviantart.com/ - Some of my art
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Re: New and LOVEing it!

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Welcome! Glad to see you here. Sounds like your journey in getting into game creation has been similar to mine, although I've always been a web developer/programmer.

The community is very willing to help, so don't hesitate to shout out if you need help with something.
OroscoC
Prole

Post by OroscoC »

Thanks Bullet. The journey here has been interesting because of how many years I have thought of this but never took any action. I am glad I finally did and found this engine with an active community. Do you have any tips or links to helpful tutorials for someone like me, being new as one can possibly get, with learning this code language?
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

Well, there's Tutorial:Hamster Ball
Kadoba
Party member

Post by Kadoba »

Having no knowledge of lua or love I read through the first 7 chapters of http://www.lua.org/pil/ before I even touched love functions. It's actually not overly technical for a programming book but it's still fairly dry. Having a solid grasp on lua before getting knee deep in love really helped me out.
LuaWeaver
Party member

Post by LuaWeaver »

Kadoba wrote:Having no knowledge of lua or love I read through the first 7 chapters of http://www.lua.org/pil/ before I even touched love functions. It's actually not overly technical for a programming book but it's still fairly dry. Having a solid grasp on lua before getting knee deep in love really helped me out.
So true, although I learned through experimentation with ROBLOX which uses Lua API, not lua. Like LOVE. Never go to ROBLOX, to much segregation, and the Lua is being locked up...
"your actions cause me to infer your ego is the size of three houses" -finley
shiftybill
Prole

Post by shiftybill »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to LÖVE too, I learned some LUA a few years ago by messing around with LUA player on the PSP, it was really fun! I loved how simple and fast it was to get awesome results. I don't really have any tips besides reading through the wiki and to have fun!
Ensayia
Party member

Post by Ensayia »

By far Lua's most prominent features is the excellent table data structure. A table is dynamically re-sizable and can hold everything from variables to functions to other tables. Tables and metatables can even be coerced into a form of object orientation.This explanation does not do them justice.

Most everything else will follow along much like other programming languages. I suggest you check out the user libraries on the LOVE wiki once you get underway.