Suggestion: Implementing cuda support into love?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
igneous
Prole

Suggestion: Implementing cuda support into love?

Post by igneous »

I noticed that when there is a gratuitous use of physics in a love game, the framerate tends to suffer. This may have already been considered before, and dismissed, but could löve make use of CUDA to offload the physics processing to the graphics card?

I'm aware that that's probably a bit of work initially, but it would really be a huge advantage, and it would broaden the playing field for löve. Recently there was someone in #loveclub that came in and started asking questions about löve as an engine, asking people how it compared against XNA. He eventually came to the conclusion that M$'s XNA was a much better framework because of the "fast physics" and "great multiplayer support".

If löve were to step up it's game, and make use of something that very few other game engines do, then it would have a real selling point.
osgeld
Party member

Re: Suggestion: Implementing cuda support into love?

Post by osgeld »

i dont think comparing love to xna is really fair

XNA is made by microsoft solely for the reasons of xbox360, maning everyone has the exact same hardware (aside from storage space) and it makes it really easy to optimize and exploit features of the system

XNA is also a compiled system, using C sharp (C#) if im not mistaken, where as love and anything else lua based are interpreted, meaning even if you took XNA and bound the love system to it your still going to have slower program execution (maybe even as high as 20X slower) just due to the fact that interpreted systems are really reading "english" and translating it into C functions which are then executed whereas a compiled program is already in its target platforms native language

its kinda like "how fast can you read, and follow these directions in your own language" vs "how fast can you read this other language to an interpreter, who then passes it back to you in your language and follow these directions"
joellevin
Prole

Post by joellevin »

Integrating CUDA would be really really cool... I may be able to implement it for OS X via OpenCL (which is based on CUDA) in the next version of the operating system - it should be decently straightforward, but it's hard to say for sure until I get a chance to play with it more closely.
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

LÖVE uses Box2D for physics. If Box2D does not use CUDA for physics calculations, then LÖVE will not use CUDA either.

I agree with the "person" on IRC. LÖVE is probably simpler for 2D-usage, but XNA is oviously (much) more solid in the long run. Just consider the massive development effort behind XNA compared to the sloppy making of LÖVE (tee-hee :rofl:).
subrime
Citizen

Post by subrime »

That's a great idea! And it will really encourage all those people who are reluctant to upgrade to a Microsoft Vista ME 7 system... I'm getting a little frustrated the way those Linus users keep holding us back just because they want to save a few dollars (or whatever passes for money in Finland).
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

subrime wrote:That's a great idea! And it will really encourage all those people who are reluctant to upgrade to a Microsoft Vista ME 7 system... I'm getting a little frustrated the way those Linus users keep holding us back just because they want to save a few dollars (or whatever passes for money in Finland).
lolololol :vamp:
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

subrime wrote:That's a great idea! And it will really encourage all those people who are reluctant to upgrade to a Microsoft Vista ME 7 system... I'm getting a little frustrated the way those Linus users keep holding us back just because they want to save a few dollars (or whatever passes for money in Finland).
That made ... no sense. :neko:

Finland? Microsoft Vista ME 7?
subrime
Citizen

Post by subrime »

You know, that crazy communist hacker who made the Linus and infected it with the GPL virus to destroy America! Well I read on the internets that he's hiding in Finland - probably cause it's the only place he can trick people since nobody there speaks english.

The only way to be safe is if Microsoft Clouds protects us with DRM and Trusty Computing, which I'm confident will be a big part of Microsoft Vista ME 7... even just the name of this new next generation pre-alpha operating system screams reliability and speed. And of course you can trust them because it's Microsoft!
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

subrime wrote:And of course you can trust them because it's Microsoft!
Yeah, if you can't trust a corporation with your safety and well-being then who can you trust?
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

subrime wrote:You know, that crazy communist hacker who made the Linus and infected it with the GPL virus to destroy America! Well I read on the internets that he's hiding in Finland - probably cause it's the only place he can trick people since nobody there speaks english.

The only way to be safe is if Microsoft Clouds protects us with DRM and Trusty Computing, which I'm confident will be a big part of Microsoft Vista ME 7... even just the name of this new next generation pre-alpha operating system screams reliability and speed. And of course you can trust them because it's Microsoft!
Oh. lololololololol :joker: