love.filesystem.isDirectory in higher levels

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
G.o.D
Prole

love.filesystem.isDirectory in higher levels

Post by G.o.D »

Hi,

i have a problem with love.filesystem.isDirectory, i want to scan a directory with love.filesystem.enumerate that is higher then my game directory

if i enumerate(""), isDirectory works, if i enumerate("mysubdirectory") it works too, but if i enumerate("../somediroutside") it always delivers false.

Is this a bug or am i doing something wrong?

Thanx in Advance,
Boolsheet
Inner party member

Re: love.filesystem.isDirectory in higher levels

Post by Boolsheet »

It is intentional. The love.filesystem module can only access the save and game directory (or game archive).
Shallow indentations.
G.o.D
Prole

Post by G.o.D »

well, it does read the directory, you can list its contents, it just fails to figure out if the read entry is a directory, i am not sure how this could be intentional
Boolsheet
Inner party member

Post by Boolsheet »

Maybe I confused something with SELÖVE.
I was under the impression that you're not supposed to leave the save/game directory. (And it's a hidden feature if a function allows it, not a bug :P )

Perhaps one of the developers can state where exactly the limits of the filesystem module should be.
Shallow indentations.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Boolsheet wrote:Maybe I confused something with SELÖVE.
I was under the impression that you're not supposed to leave the save/game directory. (And it's a hidden feature if a function allows it, not a bug :P )

Perhaps one of the developers can state where exactly the limits of the filesystem module should be.
You cannot write outside the save directory with love.filesystem functions, you also cannot read outside the LOVE or the save directory.

None of these stipulations apply to the Lua io module. You can eliminate or read all our (save SELove users) files with Lua io if you wanted to :o .
G.o.D
Prole

Post by G.o.D »

so it is actually a bug in love.filesystem.enumerate? as it can read outside love and save directory?

Anyway, this is a stupid restriction, if you can use lua io anyway, it doesnt really restrict the programmer from doing bad things if he really wants to - and actually its the job of the operating system to provide security, not of the development environment.

It seems scanning directories is not a standard feature of lua, but there are lua developed libraries out there that provide that feature, so again, i can totally do this in love, just not with the functions love provides (or as enumerate can, i can, but just not with all)... useless and confusing restriction
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

G.o.D wrote: Anyway, this is a stupid restriction, if you can use lua io anyway, it doesnt really restrict the programmer from doing bad things if he really wants to - and actually its the job of the operating system to provide security, not of the development environment.
Everybody duck, I can hear Robin loading his catapults now...
Kurosuke needs beta testers
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

G.o.D wrote:so it is actually a bug in love.filesystem.enumerate? as it can read outside love and save directory?
It is a bug that you can read outside of the write directory, yes.
G.o.D wrote:Anyway, this is a stupid restriction, if you can use lua io anyway,
Not in SELÖVE you can't, and with good reason. While LÖVE malware is pretty rare right now, it does exist, and with our forumwide habit of downloading and running every .love we come across, that's a pretty big security hazard.
G.o.D wrote:but there are lua developed libraries out there that provide that feature,
I doubt you can use them without hurting crossplatformness.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Robin wrote:While LÖVE malware is pretty rare right now, it does exist, and with our forumwide habit of downloading and running every .love we come across, that's a pretty big security hazard.
If you're concerned about malware hidden in a program, then the "security hazard" of allowing love.filesystem real access to the filesystem is much much less than the fact that you can download anything you want from the internet with luasocket and run terminal commands with os.execute/io.popen. There's no reason to restrict a useful feature because you're scared of something that will happen regardless of whether the feature is there or not.

Robin wrote:
G.o.D wrote:but there are lua developed libraries out there that provide that feature,
I doubt you can use them without hurting crossplatformness.
I believe PhysFS (which is what LÖVE uses) is designed to be crossplatform, so it would be ideal for this.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

slime wrote:If you're concerned about malware hidden in a program, then the "security hazard" of allowing love.filesystem real access to the filesystem is much much less than the fact that you can download anything you want from the internet with luasocket and run terminal commands with os.execute/io.popen.
That's why SELÖVE disables os.execute and io.popen as well. Luasocket is not a problem on itself.
slime wrote:There's no reason to restrict a useful feature because you're scared of something that will happen regardless of whether the feature is there or not.
What is useful is debatable. And as for "something that will happen": SELÖVE is as far as I know completely secure in it's current state. (With much thanks to bartbes.)
slime wrote:I believe PhysFS (which is what LÖVE uses) is designed to be crossplatform, so it would be ideal for this.
Yes, so it would be foolish to use a third party library to try to replace it.
Help us help you: attach a .love.