Fullscreen eats the bottom of my screen

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
counterfactual_jones
Prole

Fullscreen eats the bottom of my screen

Post by counterfactual_jones »

When I add 'fullscreen = true' to my game.conf, it works, but I do not get to see the bottom of the screen. That is to say the last 600-800 y don't show up. I'm guessing this is due to my widescreen monitor (1680x1050 native) but it's rather annoying and doesn't right it self once I kill the process. (forgot to add a quit button ;))
Skofo
Party member

Re: Fullscreen eats the bottom of my screen

Post by Skofo »

Hm, that's odd.

Also, pretty much every game or application leaves your screen at a shitty resolution if you kill its process, since you don't give it the chance to change the resolution back before it quits. Fix this by making F10 or something an emergency quit button. ;)
Working on: Viator
Need a 64-bit Debian package for LÖVE? Here it is!
counterfactual_jones
Prole

Well yeah, but xrandr claimed that the current res WAS 1680x1050
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

What resolution does the fullscreen game have? Perhaps you have to press the 'auto configure' button after full-screening it?
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
osuf oboys
Party member

Post by osuf oboys »

counterfactual_jones wrote:When I add 'fullscreen = true' to my game.conf, it works, but I do not get to see the bottom of the screen. That is to say the last 600-800 y don't show up. I'm guessing this is due to my widescreen monitor (1680x1050 native) but it's rather annoying and doesn't right it self once I kill the process. (forgot to add a quit button ;))
From my experiences, this has to do with the aspect ratio. How about having the program step through the list of supported modes and pick out one near 800x600?
If I haven't written anything else, you may assume that my work is released under the LPC License - the LÖVE Community. See http://love2d.org/wiki/index.php?title=LPC_License.
counterfactual_jones
Prole

Well, I could do this inside the code. But I figured since I didn't need to set the resolution in the first place, Love was going to be nice and offer good defaults. In this case simply defining 'fullscreen = true' is a nice way of offering fullscreen for those who don't care what the actual resolution is, but if this default can't handle a non-standard aspect ratio, it's not as nice for quick development.
osuf oboys
Party member

Post by osuf oboys »

counterfactual_jones wrote:Well, I could do this inside the code. But I figured since I didn't need to set the resolution in the first place, Love was going to be nice and offer good defaults. In this case simply defining 'fullscreen = true' is a nice way of offering fullscreen for those who don't care what the actual resolution is, but if this default can't handle a non-standard aspect ratio, it's not as nice for quick development.
Hi, you could use either scissors to cut everything outside the desired resolution or CAMERA to scale everything (some weirdness may appear if the aspect ratio differs too much). The code for picking a suitable resolution can be simple, e.g.

Code: Select all

for k,v in pairs(love.graphics.getModes()) do
  local modeval = -(desiredWidth-v[1])^2 + -65536 * math.max(0,desiredWidth-v[1])^2 + -(desiredHeight-v[2])^2 + - ...
  if modeval > bestmodeval then
  end
end
If I haven't written anything else, you may assume that my work is released under the LPC License - the LÖVE Community. See http://love2d.org/wiki/index.php?title=LPC_License.
zapwow
Prole

Post by zapwow »

I also have a 1680*1050 widescreen monitor, but I do not experience this problem when running LÖVE. Can anyone else duplicate the problem?
My video card drivers offer an option to crop or scale resolutions that do not match the aspect ratio of my monitor. Could you have set yours to do the same?
osuf oboys
Party member

Post by osuf oboys »

zapwow wrote:I also have a 1680*1050 widescreen monitor, but I do not experience this problem when running LÖVE. Can anyone else duplicate the problem?
My video card drivers offer an option to crop or scale resolutions that do not match the aspect ratio of my monitor. Could you have set yours to do the same?
I would be interested in seeing your list of your supported modes.
zapwow
Prole

Post by zapwow »

OK
modes.PNG
modes.PNG (20.49 KiB) Viewed 6014 times