Child of Winter

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
GijsB
Party member

Re: Child of Winter

Post by GijsB »

my ending was just : 'i should head back to the village before it get's dark'.
what thing has an effect on the different endings?
headchant
Party member

Post by headchant »

5/5
very nice! I demand more levels :)
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

GijsB wrote:my ending was just : 'i should head back to the village before it get's dark'.
It is completly random.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
felix24
Party member

Post by felix24 »

hey man, just played your game. it's really nice and well made. well done ^^
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

I played it three times before I got the alternative ending.

Anyway, it's really nice. I would however cut out the non-puzzle sections, because they're just filler. Also, if you could do something to make the controls feel a bit more responsive, that'd be rather neat.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
kesac
Prole

Post by kesac »

GijsB wrote:my ending was just : 'i should head back to the village before it get's dark'.
Jasoco wrote:I got the alternate ending. How do you get the normal one?
Robin wrote:I played it three times before I got the alternative ending.
The game assigns you a random ending during your playthrough, 50/50 chance. I think for the 1.0 version I will only have it choose randomly on your first playthrough, then force the other ending for every second playthrough (and alternating thereafter). This will make it easier for those who want to see both endings.
Robin wrote:Also, if you could do something to make the controls feel a bit more responsive, that'd be rather neat.
Unsure how to make it more responsive, the movement system is really basic: the boy can only move along the lines of a grid like the first generation Pokemon games. Raising his walking speed might help though and I can definitely play with that. I think I will leave any major improvements on the movement system for the next project. I want to try for a smoother movement system like in A Link to the Past. Then the controls would be much sharper.
Have you met the Child of Winter?
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

Fantastic. Every level is rather repayable, as you forget the setup, because you're concentrating so hard on the last puzzle.

I enjoy the rooms where there are no puzzles. They offer a bit of atmosphere. Perhaps some more dialog?

When the game ends, I have to restart it just to play again. Perhaps pressing space could do this when it says "Thanks for Playing"?

Fantastic music too, by the way.

Spoilers ahead:
As for the endings, I think you ought to do just what you suggested. For the first ending, he ought to escape, but for the second, he ought to be "hurt".
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

josefnpat wrote:They offer a bit of atmosphere. Perhaps some more dialog?
"It's cold and dark here. Let me use my lighter... HOLLY CRAP! IT'S CTHULHU! RUN!" lol

Nah, just wanted to suggest that instead of random split ending, the "nice ending" should only be given if player is quicker than a certain time. Same as telling "you already played it, got the "other" ending, so have the "nice" one since you already know the tricks".
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

kesac wrote:Unsure how to make it more responsive, the movement system is really basic: the boy can only move along the lines of a grid like the first generation Pokemon games. Raising his walking speed might help though and I can definitely play with that.
One thing you could do is something Pac-Man did as well: start listening to input a bit before the player can make another step.

That way I would feel less need to mash my buttons, because right now, if I'm a bit early, nothing happens.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
kesac
Prole

Post by kesac »

Hey, big thanks to everyone who has played it so far and made suggestions! I make note of what everyone suggests in my task list. This feedback is just what I need!
Robin wrote: One thing you could do is something Pac-Man did as well: start listening to input a bit before the player can make another step.
Oh I see, that is a really good suggestion. I realize now that Davidobot's Dungeon Crawler also does this, which is why his movement system deals with corners so well.
Have you met the Child of Winter?