Another noob needs a hand

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Voytec
Prole

Another noob needs a hand

Post by Voytec »

Hi all! I am new to Love engine but not new to game making. I know c#, c++ and I used other game engines. I went through all the tutorials from Love wiki. Lets say I am using physics tutorial as a base to my project. My question is how can I create a stickman and animate it to use it as a player? I mean I want it to be a few rectangles joined together with some relationship between them. But it seems quite difficult to achieve from my point of view. Any tips for me?
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Another noob needs a hand

Post by Robin »

Have you tried using a single circle or rectangle as the player first?

Having the player consist of multiple components makes things pretty complicated, (especially with physics involved) and it seems pretty difficult to achieve from my point of view as well.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

I think it's a bit more easy (although complicated) than you could both think (much harder with physics). The skeleton/joints principles are simple. And remember this LOVE example?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3650
More basics:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2242&p=23992
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

Have you tried using a single circle or rectangle as the player first?

Having the player consist of multiple components makes things pretty complicated, (especially with physics involved) and it seems pretty difficult to achieve from my point of view as well.
I have the suspicion that even in games like Limbo, the player is probably represented as one or two simple shapes.
Appendages like the arms, legs and the head are probably there primarily for aesthetic reasons.
I don't think it would be possible in Box2D to actually support properly (let alone move) a 2D figure on its legs.
So yeah, the most complicated part would be animating the appendages.
Zeliarden
Party member

Post by Zeliarden »

I don't think it would be possible in Box2D to actually support properly (let alone move) a 2D figure on its legs.
Its possible. for exampel Theo Jansen's Walker in dox2d testbed shows this
http://code.google.com/p/box2d/downloads/list
and there are videos on youtube of box2d ragdolls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZO21f0gYH0
Ellohir
Party member

Post by Ellohir »