How to get rid of the pig!

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
pauld
Prole

How to get rid of the pig!

Post by pauld »

When running Love, all you seems to have access is a pig with spinning hearts around him.
The only thing it seems you can do from there, is to press Escape (which quits the program).

And I believe there is no way to get rid of the pig... except for running a Love application.
How?

Well, I would have guessed that downloading a .love file, and double-click or draggint it on the Love icon would open the game.
I tried with the facilitated-escape.love file, but this just gave me the pig again. :x

But you may want to do your own application.
Simply create a new folder, probably on your Desktop.
In it create a main.lua file with:
function love.draw()
love.graphics.print("Hello World", 400, 300)
end

After that, drag and drop the newly created folder on the Love icon.
You should see 'Hello World' appears in the middle of a black screen if all goes fine.
From there, you can learn how to add new stuff inside the main.lua file in the tutorial:
https://love2d.org/wiki/Getting_Started
As far as I know, it is Ok to add an exception to this website that seems to insist to use https with an invalid certificate.
Kadoba
Party member

Re: How to get rid of the pig!

Post by Kadoba »

The pig is just a placeholder. If you see it then that means LOVE didn't find the game you're trying to run.

There are three ways to run a LOVE game. You can drag and drop the game on the love.exe or shortcut, you can run a command (C:\Program Files\Love\love.exe desktop\mygame.love), or you can try and open a .love file on a system where .love extensions are associated with love.exe (this is automatically done when you install LOVE).
Whyte Vuh'uni
Prole

Post by Whyte Vuh'uni »

Or you can create a shortcut to love.exe, and set the Starting Working Directory (forgot what it's really called like, but it's in the the shortcut's properties dialog) to your game folder. The shortcut can then be placed anywhere.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

pauld wrote:And I believe there is no way to get rid of the pig...
Well, If anything else said before fails you can still try to find butchers or slaughterhouses in Yellow Pages. But really, there is no LÖVE on that. :vamp:
richapple
Citizen

Post by richapple »

It was here all the time :P
wiki.png
wiki.png (34.82 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
There are many threads with people explaining this problem, I think the old text saying 'No game' should be here again.

Also,
pauld wrote:As far as I know, it is Ok to add an exception to this website that seems to insist to use https with an invalid certificate.
Yes, It's an issue that I posted earlier, here. Result: everything is Ok.