Extracting a .zip file from two merged files

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
AlgidPlasma
Prole

Extracting a .zip file from two merged files

Post by AlgidPlasma »

This small tutorial shows you how to extract a .zip file for love2d from a the merged file of a .love and love.exe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIHok6DyIAE
qaisjp
Party member

Re: Extracting a .zip file from two merged files

Post by qaisjp »

Good tut, I thought renaming the extension to .zip and opening in WinRar would do it.
Last edited by qaisjp on Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lua is not an acronym.
AlgidPlasma
Prole

Post by AlgidPlasma »

qaisjp wrote:Interesting, but you just opened commercial games to a bunch of nooby pirates...
Even though this was clearly said on the wiki.

Great job at helping pirates out.
It was said but not shown.

Besides, there are still ways to hide your code (i.e. obfuscation and compilation)
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

AlgidPlasma wrote:
qaisjp wrote:Interesting, but you just opened commercial games to a bunch of nooby pirates...

It was said but not shown.

Besides, there are still ways to hide your code (i.e. obfuscation and compilation)
Yes there are ways, but the wiki didn't tell us because they wanted lovers to know we can pirate it - they told us so that we can protect our game appropriately.
Lua is not an acronym.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

AlgidPlasma wrote:This small tutorial shows you how to extract a .zip file for love2d from a the merged file of a .love and love.exe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIHok6DyIAE
Since the method of creating a .exe is easy, the method to create a .love from a .exe is easy.

Whenever I find a fellow on the forums who supplied a .exe and not a .love, i just unzip it and remove the .love so that I can run it on linux. I really enjoy having a way to deassociate a .love with windows so I can still play it.

To be honest, I think it's a feature of love to be able to do this. A lot of newbies will feel uncomfortable about making their code so easy to "extract" but what they need to realize is that pirates will find a way regardless of obfuscation or compilation. What people need to realize is that a licence will only ever protect them part of the way anyway. There's great importance of having brand loyalty, and informing your users of where the game can be legally purchased, and what positive effect will be had when it is purchased (e.g. easy access to updates, soundtracks, art, etc).

For example, snayke distributes the .love on the linux version of the download, and it is available to open and change. He understands there will be some piracy, but with a little brand loyalty, he will learn that even some of the pirates who download his game will turn around and pay for it.
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
mickeyjm
Party member

Post by mickeyjm »

I've always justd treated the exe as an archive and done open with 7zip, works fine
Your screen is very zoomed in...
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

qaisjp wrote: Yes there are ways, but the wiki didn't tell us because they wanted lovers to know we can pirate it - they told us so that we can protect our game appropriately.
They didn't explicitly tell that because it was obvious.
When I write def I mean function.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

No. Just... no.

I want to write a long rant about this, but I'm too tired, so I owe you one rant. ;)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

Robin wrote:

No. Just... no.

I want to write a long rant about this, but I'm too tired, so I owe you one rant. ;)
point taken....
Lua is not an acronym.