Looking for open game written in LOVE? (to impress a girl :)

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
bmn44
Prole

Looking for open game written in LOVE? (to impress a girl :)

Post by bmn44 »

Hi All,

I'm looking to present the girlfriend with a custom game, preferrably with lots of red hearts, and cute little animals. I'm a programmer, and can make my way around compiling and coding, in multiple langauges.

So, can anyone here recommend games that meet the criteria (cutish/romantic and open source). I'm looking to simply modify the text dialog a little and make a customized version to present to her. :cool:

While a game written in LOVE would be nice, I'm also open to other engines if anyone knows of these.

Cheers.

PS: I'm currently looking at project Hawkthorne, as a big community fan.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Re: Looking for open game written in LOVE? (to impress a gir

Post by T-Bone »

If you're a programmer, you can make something like that yourself with LÖVE in an afternoon. Spend some time to make it something you've written from scratch yourself, that makes it more meaningful :neko:
bmn44
Prole

Post by bmn44 »

Well sure.. but there is some time constraint, so the quality of a quick job may not be that good (of course, I'm open to simple ideas that I can code up).

For example.. if there's an angry brids like game already out there with the source.. then I could change a few sprites to things she likes/inside jokes, and the best bird would look like her, and the amount of fun from such a simple mod would be *way* more, IMO, than a small game written from scratch.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

I agree with T-Bone, it's probably better to come up with your own personal concept and make a small prototype.
Also, gameplay centered around discovery/exploration would probably be more appropriate rather than something like angry birds.
Here's a nice example although it's in Flash and I don't think the source is available:
http://davidsgallant.com/2012/02/25/a-game-for-ana/
OmarShehata
Party member

Post by OmarShehata »

There's a TON of things you can do in a few hours that could be amazing and mind-blowingly meaningful.

An angry birds game with inside joke doesn't really sound as impressive at all as something what ivan posted.

Games a beautiful medium in which one can express art or emotion through. Just be creative. Think about what she means to you, and then make something that manifests that feeling. It's like writing a poem.

If you've never made a game before, then whipping out something in a few hours may be hard. But either way, just think about what YOU can do, and do something within your limits. It doesn't need to BE impressive, it just needs to LOOK impressive.

Remember, simple is genius.