Upcoming features for LOVE 0.6.0

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
appleide
Party member

Re: Upcoming features for LOVE 0.6.0

Post by appleide »

http://love2d.org/wiki/index.php?title=Version_0.6.0

Having read the upcoming features in 0.6.0.....

I have noticed rude has concentrated on giving more power to us. Examples: We can now customise the game loop how we like. We can poll and wait for our own events. Make images in-game. Vertex buffers. love.native allowing using C.

However...... That means we have to do all those things by ourselves...... I like where love 0.6.0 is going but I have this tiny uncomfortable feeling love 0.6.0 is becoming more as a lua wrapper for SDL.... The more we have to do it ourselves, the less our code will be compatible with each other. There is also more chance to write poor code. (as in C++)

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely

I really liked the fixed load-update-draw functions architecture but that is going to change. I'm afraid of changes so you might as well call me a lovely conservative.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

They're not going to change, you CAN change them, that doesn't mean you have to, just leave the defaults in place and you will see no difference.
appleide
Party member

Post by appleide »

That's brilliant!
I feel like on the eve of my semester exam that I thought I was so going to screw up, my friend informs me we were allowed take a page of notes inside. (Which actually happened...)
Zorbatron
Citizen

Post by Zorbatron »

appleide wrote:http://love2d.org/wiki/index.php?title=Version_0.6.0

Having read the upcoming features in 0.6.0.....

I have noticed rude has concentrated on giving more power to us. Examples: We can now customise the game loop how we like. We can poll and wait for our own events. Make images in-game. Vertex buffers. love.native allowing using C.

However...... That means we have to do all those things by ourselves...... I like where love 0.6.0 is going but I have this tiny uncomfortable feeling love 0.6.0 is becoming more as a lua wrapper for SDL.... The more we have to do it ourselves, the less our code will be compatible with each other. There is also more chance to write poor code. (as in C++)

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely

I really liked the fixed load-update-draw functions architecture but that is going to change. I'm afraid of changes so you might as well call me a lovely conservative.
Well so far he's only given us more capability. The only thing he's moved over to lua that used to be handled engine side is the main loop, which personally I don't understand, but whatever.

Actually I believe they pushed some things onto the engine that should probably always stay as engine side as possible and that is drawing. With batch drawing large amounts of standard draw calls can be done in a single lua function, not sure how that'll work but hopefully it solve the issue of making 100s of calls to draw each frame.
Igmon
Prole

Post by Igmon »

Just a quick question about the upcoming 0.6.0...Are the binary operators going to be added on this iteration? It would be great to have it...it doesn't have to be fancy, but so long as the functionality is offloaded to the core engine, that's all that matters for me. This would help a lot with loading binaries for encoding.
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Igmon wrote:Just a quick question about the upcoming 0.6.0...Are the binary operators going to be added on this iteration? It would be great to have it...it doesn't have to be fancy, but so long as the functionality is offloaded to the core engine, that's all that matters for me. This would help a lot with loading binaries for encoding.
Yeah, I don't see why we can't include http://bitop.luajit.org/.