PacPac

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
anorak
Prole

PacPac

Post by anorak »

PacPac is pac-man imported from a parallel universe. It's open source, and I'd be happy to receive contributions for new levels. Existing levels are easy to edit with basically no programming knowledge.

Try it out:

http://zarblox.com/pacpac.love

Here's the official codebase; edits welcome:

https://github.com/tylerneylon/pacpac/

I have a list of ideas for new levels in the readme. Here are some of them:
  • A level where the walls are not drawn, but must be implied through the dot positions and
    where the ghosts travel. I played this by accident a couple times, and it's challenging
    and fun.
  • New ghost AI's in different colors.
  • A gun that can shoot ghosts.
  • A level with keys that can open doors. Doors are basically walls that you can erase
    with a key.
  • A level with portal-like mechanics. Maybe a warp door that changes connected doors,
    or a warp gun. (This sounds a little scary to have to debug.)
  • A level where the hero and ghosts switch roles. By default, the ghosts are weak - i.e., flashing
    white/blue and can be eaten. The ghosts eat dots, and if they eat a superdot, then the hero
    becomes vulnerable - i.e., the ghosts appear non-flashing temporarily. However, the ghosts no
    longer reincarnate, and it is the hero's goal to eat all of them.
markgo
Party member

Re: PacPac

Post by markgo »

This is very nice. I don't have any suggestions, but looks great and feels just like the original pacman.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

That is neat.
In case you're looking for ways to improve (in terms of ghosts AI) this article would help, tremendously.

Good job, anyway!
Username
Citizen

Post by Username »

Nicely done.

But I noticed that ghosts that can be eaten do not flee from player.
anorak
Prole

Post by anorak »

Roland_Yonaba wrote:That is neat.
In case you're looking for ways to improve (in terms of ghosts AI) this article would help, tremendously.
Thanks! I actually used that exact article to build the ghost AI's in PacPac. They are not mathematically identical because PacPac uses a simplified grid system, but the behaviors are extremely similar, including constantly updated ghost target points that are very similar to those in the original game, along with scattering / pursuing waves.
anorak
Prole

Post by anorak »

Username wrote:I noticed that ghosts that can be eaten do not flee from player.
That's true. Frightened ghosts in the original game also turn randomly (well, pseudorandomly) at intersections. Search for the word "pseudorandomly" on this page to see what Chad Birch says about it.
anorak
Prole

Post by anorak »

I just added level 3, which has a twist to make it a little more interesting. Here's a preview:

pacpac.love
PacPac v0.3
(606.81 KiB) Downloaded 323 times