Proto-RTS

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Geti
Party member

Re: Proto-RTS

Post by Geti »

Right, update. Theres a bug which i can't find the source of that makes drawing the tiles error on 83 in main.lua occasionally, but i want to get this out there before i go away for another two days.
you'll know it when you see it. also you might note some black tiles that are using the rock sprite but are blacked out. this is intentional, as those tiles will eventually be water.
as such, i would like to request that someone make me four new types of tile sprites in the style the current ones are in:
  • -Forest Floor (grass with leaves and sticks and assorted crud on it)
    -Plains grass (essentially, a mix of sand and grass, looking like it could have corn fields or wheat growing on it)
    -Rocky Sand (or sandy rock, a mix of rock and sand)
    -Water
Keep in mind the scale, a HOUSE is going to be 2x2 tiles, and a HUB (think town center/mcv) will be 4x4.
Criticism and help welcome, particularly with the automaton/debugging, and the aforementioned spriting.
Virox
Citizen

Post by Virox »

Wow looks great :o (hadn't seen the first post was updated)

Looking forward for more in the future!
Geti
Party member

Post by Geti »

well, got some more features happening, but i'm currently swamped with the bugs that work their way into a project when you spam features <_<
i'll post more in the morning, giving up for now.
fixed the issue with drawing though, fairly simple, I smacked my forehead when I got it.
Geti
Party member

Post by Geti »

Update!
Check for bugs, see if you can find the cause of the chunking issue, whatever. Criticism would be nice :)
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Mine runtime errors on open.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Hi there!

I think I found the problem. You are running it from Windows, aren't you?

I got the following error in Ubuntu 9.10, after uncompressing:

Code: Select all

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'love::Exception'
  what():  Could not open file images/Tiles/Units/ECO.gif. Does not exist.
Aborted
The file was named images/Tiles/Units/eco.gif - notice the lowercase. Windows doesn't care about letter case on files (ECO=eco for him), but mac/ubuntu do. I guess ZIP also does. That must be why it was working on uncompressed windows, but not on the .love file.

It looks awesome.

As a side note, are there any controls? The terrains I got tend to "dissapear behind the bottom of the screen", so I miss around half of them. Is there any way to "scroll down"? :megagrin:
When I write def I mean function.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

kikito wrote:The file was named images/Tiles/Units/eco.gif - notice the lowercase. Windows doesn't care about letter case on files (ECO=eco for him), but mac/ubuntu do. I guess ZIP also does. That must be why it was working on uncompressed windows, but not on the .love file.

It looks awesome.

As a side note, are there any controls? The terrains I got tend to "dissapear behind the bottom of the screen", so I miss around half of them. Is there any way to "scroll down"? :megagrin:
Yep, that fixed it. And use wasd.
Geti
Party member

Post by Geti »

Yeah, WASD to move around. Once I actually have some sort of interface I'll make it also slide (so you don't have to maniacally tap the keys).
Glad you like the aesthetic, thank you for the fix :D
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Geti wrote:Yeah, WASD to move around. Once I actually have some sort of interface I'll make it also slide (so you don't have to maniacally tap the keys).
Put this in your love.update(dt) function and remove the code from love.keypressed(k)

Code: Select all

if love.keyboard.isDown("w") then
		player1oy = player1oy + 1*dt
	end
	if love.keyboard.isDown("a") then
		player1ox = player1ox + 1*dt
	end
	if love.keyboard.isDown("s") then
		player1oy = player1oy - 1*dt
	end
	if love.keyboard.isDown("d") then
		player1ox = player1ox - 1*dt
	end
Geti
Party member

Post by Geti »

I did not know you could do that, should've read the keyboard documentation more :death: thank you :D

also:
Some ideas for the tree/forest people race. I'm thinking they should speak with a russian accent.
oh, haven't posted this one yet:
Plains people (humans) and their progression from stone to modern age. I'm going to keep the aesthetic fairly fanciful, but there will be guns and such.
more in depth but not the most updated version here. I dont have the most uptodate one online <_<