Post-0.10.0 feature wishlist

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
zorg
Party member

Re: Post-0.10.0 feature wishlist

Post by zorg »

Someguynamedpie wrote:Also, I don't consider a ad-supported free game to be commercial.
According to any dictionary i looked up, the definition of commercial included some form of the phrase "with intent to make money/a profit".

Doesn't matter where it comes from, focus is on the creator/dev/publisher getting money, not on the users being charged money. (At least, not directly anyway.)

Also, i'm not -that- against ads myself, i just wish people would be a bit more creative with ad placement in games (granted if that's something that's "allowed", never developed for phones myself yet, so i don't know these unwritten rules...); do it less obstructively, like put them on in-game billboards or whatever.

Most people won't click on them anyways, but seeing them like that, integrated into the game, may just result in them being interested enough in looking the advertised things up.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Someguynamedpie
Citizen

Post by Someguynamedpie »

zorg wrote:
Someguynamedpie wrote:Also, I don't consider a ad-supported free game to be commercial.
According to any dictionary i looked up, the definition of commercial included some form of the phrase "with intent to make money/a profit".

Doesn't matter where it comes from, focus is on the creator/dev/publisher getting money, not on the users being charged money. (At least, not directly anyway.)

Also, i'm not -that- against ads myself, i just wish people would be a bit more creative with ad placement in games (granted if that's something that's "allowed", never developed for phones myself yet, so i don't know these unwritten rules...); do it less obstructively, like put them on in-game billboards or whatever.

Most people won't click on them anyways, but seeing them like that, integrated into the game, may just result in them being interested enough in looking the advertised things up.
Eh I just consider a game whose goal is to make profit shouldn't rely solely on ads. Ad placement on mobile is typically restricted though, yes.
Jack5500
Party member

Post by Jack5500 »

Well, other engines do provide Steam support as well, so providing an implementation without the steam integration binary might be possible.

Are you earning money from an ad-supportef free game? Yes, so it's commercial
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

Ads in billboards of games do occur but it's kinda a direct agreement type of thing. I'm not sure if there is any ad companies that offer that kind of ad service. But that actually would be pretty cool. Maybe there can be an ad network that specializes in non-obtrusive product placement. Although I guess the difficulty in product placement is that it would most likely be a one time payment and only bigger games would be able to get those kind of deals.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

bobbyjones wrote:Ads in billboards of games do occur but it's kinda a direct agreement type of thing.
For some reason, either RTS or NFS type games tend to come into my mind, that may/could have had these types of ads, direct agreement with other companies, not specifically ad companies though, as you said (like direct advertisement for Sony or Renault, for example); granted, this would not really work as a generic type of deal...

Funny thing is, most ads i saw on mobile apps were horribly low-res and tacky looking; the Play-Asia, J-list and other weeaboo-oriented ads on 4chan felt less obtrusive than the "trash" on mobile apps. And the former actually made me click on them; that is something.
(Me not getting viruses from them is also a neat bonus!)

Also i'm not getting paid to say this of course.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

Whether or not you agree with it doesn't make it not true. The NDA prevents distributing of the SDK (which would be pretty much whats delivered in an FFI implementation) to any non partners.
If you do an FFI integration, you don't need to distribute the SDK. Also an implementation don't need a distributed SDK. A developer could grab the Steam implementation and add the Steam SDK libraries himself!
If you want a particle editor/world editor, use external libraries for its out of scope of love to have included in it (as I have learned).
I do and i helped on APE Particle Editor where I added an savesystem. Therefore I know the problems of tools build only for one special Löve version.

But as I said, it would help to make LÖVE more useable for new Users. I know thats out of scope of the engine itself...but it's in the scope of an ecosystem. If you like it or not, thats my standpoint :)!
HugoBDesigner
Party member

Post by HugoBDesigner »

I'm not sure how hard this would be (if possible at all), or if it already is possible and I'm missing something, but I think it'd be great if we could have nesting Canvases in LÖVE (drawing canvases inside canvases). Something tells me it's probably already possible. If so, sorry for the pointless post :?
@HugoBDesigner - Twitter
HugoBDesigner - Blog
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

You can draw a canvas to another canvas, iirc just avoid drawing a canvas to itself and you'll be fine;)
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
Sheepolution
Party member

Post by Sheepolution »

HugoBDesigner wrote:I'm not sure how hard this would be (if possible at all), or if it already is possible and I'm missing something, but I think it'd be great if we could have nesting Canvases in LÖVE (drawing canvases inside canvases). Something tells me it's probably already possible. If so, sorry for the pointless post :?
Yes this is possible.

Code: Select all

function love.draw()
	love.graphics.setCanvas(canvas1)
	--draw stuff on canvas 1
	love.graphics.push("all")
		love.graphics.setCanvas(canvas2)
		--draw stuff on canvas 2
		love.graphics.pop()
	--draw stuff on canvas 1
	love.graphics.setCanvas()

love.graphics.draw(canvas1)