Good text editor for linux?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Good text editor for linux?

Post by Robin »

Germanunkol wrote:Or is the idea to exit input mode, navigate, and then move back into input mode?
Actually, the idea is that you spend most of your time in normal mode, and have short bursts of "enter input mode, type something, press escape" in between.

And if you really want to be effective, you'll rarely use hjkl, because there are things like f, /, w and the like that are much more efficient than "going 10 characters to the right".
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

All right, I'm starting to get the hang of it, though navigation is still relatively slow. I'm not loving it yet - but that may be because I'm not far up the learning curve yet. I'll keep trying. There's some things that already got me hooked, like the :! command to get to the shell, or the b and w movement commands. Others seem to be placed well for english keyboards and not for my german one, and I'm hesistant to remap them atm (because then every time I switch to a different distro the layout will be changed again and I'll be lost...)
Anways, thanks guys!
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
Inny
Party member

Post by Inny »

I think the A command (capital A, "After the End Of Line") is the movement command that I use the most, followed by / (forward-find).

One of the features that I also make a lot of use of with vim is the macros. Vim records a macro (q command) to one of your named clipboards (you have 26, named a through z), and you play them back whenever (@ command). So, lets say you have to edit a file to change every function Class:method(params) signature to method = function(self, params), the macro which I just recorded now is this: wdexdwaself, <escape>bbbi<backspace>kb<escape>^Pa = <escape>0. Every line I type @a on now will be converted via that macro. Now, how did I come up with that Macro? easy, I just started recording with qa and then went about my normal editing (but carefully), and ended the recording with q.

The horror settles in that someone with Vim macros and an hour could probably replace a data entry clerk who takes 8 hours.
Nsmurf
Party member

Post by Nsmurf »

I use vim all the time and love it. Here are my hints:

Use XModMap to map caps lock to escape.
I also map : to ; and vice versa, but that's up to you.
You can use ":!love ." to run your current love file.
Set both number and relativenumber (If I remember the names correctly.) (http://www.jeffkreeftmeijer.com/2013/vi ... umber-mode)

Vim FTW :awesome:
OBEY!!!
My Blog
UE0gbWUgd2l0aCB0aGUgd29yZCAnSE1TRycgYXMgdGhlIHN1YmplY3Q=
speedcoding101
Prole

Post by speedcoding101 »

sublime 2 is a really good one i love it
mefjak
Prole

Post by mefjak »

I'm using Scratch which comes as standard text editor in elementryOS. Sublime is good too.
OttoRobba
Party member

Post by OttoRobba »

I'm using Gedit with my custom snippets and shortcuts :D

Beware of the shameless plug: https://github.com/OttoRobba/gel
BozoDel
Party member

Post by BozoDel »

OttoRobba wrote:I'm using Gedit with my custom snippets and shortcuts :D

Beware of the shameless plug: https://github.com/OttoRobba/gel
This is GOLD!

P.S.: brbrbr huehuehue
Pebsie
Party member

Post by Pebsie »

SublimeText all the way.
It's free if you don't mind being asked to buy it every 10 or so saves (these are very minimal anyway)
Twitter: @Pebsiee http://twitter.com/pebsiee
Steam: pebsie
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I second SublimeText, and the message is quite a bit more than 10 saves. Maybe something like 100. Which is nothing for such a feature packed editor. I do wish themes allowed for the coloring of the sidebar though. I use a dark theme, but it looks weird having a bright white sidebar when the rest of the window is black.