Simple Tiled Implementation - STI v1.2.3.0

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Karai17
Party member

Re: Simple Tiled Implementation - STI v0.7.6

Post by Karai17 »

My next course of action I believe is going to be working on the collision system. Someone on IRC has already been poking at animations which is why I decided to start working on collision instead. If you want to join the IRC channel and talk to DesertRock or myself (Karai, K17) about it, that might help with spreading ideas and dividing up tasks. :)
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

But does STI really need a collision system built into it? Most people (including me) prefer to use whatever methods of collision that they always use. I would rate animations as a far higher necessity as it is not something that you can fix very easily without it. That being said, any work that you do is obviously appreciated as the library is a very good asset. So thanks a lot! :)
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

Tiled now has a built-in collision system, so I feel it is important to support Tiled's full feature set. It should also be worth mentioning that the maintainer of Tiled specifically asked me to support collision, so I feel like it is important to do. :)

Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

Karai17 wrote:Tiled now has a built-in collision system, so I feel it is important to support Tiled's full feature set. It should also be worth mentioning that the maintainer of Tiled specifically asked me to support collision, so I feel like it is important to do. :)
Well, like I said, any progress is always appreciated! I just wanted to let you know that animations would be neat :)
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

Animations are definitely on the todo list, and some other people are already poking at that as well. Hopefully I'll have both implemented within the next week or so. Feel free to work on your game assuming STI will support animations and collision very soon!

Karai17
Party member

Re: Simple Tiled Implementation - STI v0.8.0

Post by Karai17 »

¡¡Double Post!!

STI 0.8.0 now supports collisions! STI uses LOVE's Box2D implementation (love.physics module) to generate collision shapes. love.physics MUST be enabled for STI to run, even if you do not use the built-in collision (this will be fixed later). I'll update the documentation tomorrow, but for now if you are having any trouble please check the Tech Demo.

There is a bug(?) in Tiled that does not project collision data to isometric, so for now STI will match Tiled's bug and isometric collision data will remain orthogonal. This will be fixed as soon as Tiled is fixed.

Next step is animated tiles. Good night.

roccosportal
Prole

Re: Simple Tiled Implementation - STI v0.8.0

Post by roccosportal »

I did add some features and fixed some bugs.
https://github.com/karai17/Simple-Tiled ... on/pull/45

I'm posting this here, because the pull request also includes some specific questions somebody might have an answer for.
I actually thought about implementing a feature that allow objects to be dynamic (dynamic position and collision). But I believe that would be a big overhead for the current purpose of this library. Though I would like to set dynamic objects layer in Tiled. My current idea is to set it in Tiled anyway, export it with STI to my code, delete it from the STI map and add custom handling for the objects.
Do you know a better approach?
Cheers rocco
Karai17
Party member

Re: Simple Tiled Implementation - STI v0.8.1

Post by Karai17 »

Did some code cleanup and modified a few function names (see the README on GitHub).
Last edited by Karai17 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karai17
Party member

Re: Simple Tiled Implementation - STI v0.8.1

Post by Karai17 »

roccosportal wrote:I did add some features and fixed some bugs.
https://github.com/karai17/Simple-Tiled ... on/pull/45

I'm posting this here, because the pull request also includes some specific questions somebody might have an answer for.
I actually thought about implementing a feature that allow objects to be dynamic (dynamic position and collision). But I believe that would be a big overhead for the current purpose of this library. Though I would like to set dynamic objects layer in Tiled. My current idea is to set it in Tiled anyway, export it with STI to my code, delete it from the STI map and add custom handling for the objects.
Do you know a better approach?
Cheers rocco
Please see my comments in your pull request.

STI already supports dynamic content. If you note the CustomLayer object, it is a container that can be completely customized. The purpose of CustomLayer is to allow you to build your own content and place it within a map so that it can be drawn in order. If you want to use Tiled's objectgroup functionality to build dynamic objects, I recommend the following:

1) Build your objectgroup in Tiled
2) Grab all the data form that objectgroup when loading STI
3) Convert the objectgroup to a CustomLayer (this will destroy all data within, so make sure to grab it first!)
4) Initialize your dynamic data
5) Interact with the data as you would normally

In the STI Tech Demo, the little Kim Jong-il sprite is a dynamic object within a CustomLayer. I'd recommend checking out the source code there as an example, or check out the documentation.

Karai17
Party member

Re: Simple Tiled Implementation - STI v0.8.2

Post by Karai17 »

¡¡Double Post!!

I just spent far too many hours refactoring the Box2D collision code. here's what's up:

The latest version of Tiled now has a built-in collision editor. This collision editor allows you to open an individual tile in a tileset and add objects to that tile. This allows for sub-tile precision when creating collidable object and is totally awesome. However, I feel that this method of building collision objects is not ideal in all cases. On top of Tiled's built-in collision data, I have set up STI to detect the collidable property in any layer, tile, or object. If this property is set in your map, that entity will become collidable. What this means if you want to build a collision layer in your map, you can do so. If you want specific whole tiles to be collidable, that's possible too. If you want to place objects over top of your map and not only in sub-tile areas, go for it!

Please check out the new tech demo in the OP to see all of these in action. You will notice a black strip on the bottom of the screen. That strip houses animation data that STI does not yet support, but rest assured, I'll be adding it soon.