Mario Kart thing (Tero Kart)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: Mario Kart thing (Abandoned)

Post by Jasoco »

Well, I am not all that good with 3D maths. I failed Algebra and the highest math course I took in High School was General Math III. So any 3D that I do is based on code I get from examples. Remember that my Wolfenstein clone is based on a JavaScript Wolf clone that jfroco helped me with when he ported the math parts to Lua. My 3D is basically just a flat surface with stuff placed in 3D space and drawn on the screen at the location and scale they would appear. This same code was used for my Kart clone too. The Kart example I did was just my Wolf engine without walls. Which allows it to have many more sprites instead.

My Wolfenstein engine is higher priority than my Kart one. I already created the basic Kart framework. I just don't know how to do the physics correctly so they feel exactly like the original game. I launched the Super Mario Kart ROM many times and played around a lot during development to try and get the physics right. Then there's the enemy AI which needs to follow a track (My editor lets you place a general path that the track follows) and avoid hitting each other. That's pretty hard stuff. My path editor didn't even account for multiple branching paths. (Shortcuts) Then there's the lap checking system that needs to make sure you only get a lap counted if you go around the track. i.e. by making sure you cross check points. It's a lot of work and I only did it as a proof of concept.

Plus it requires canvases which would make it useless for people who can't support them.
retrotails
Party member

Re: Mario Kart thing (Tero Kart)

Post by retrotails »

Project somewhat resurrected, I've started over from scratch. It now aims to be a slightly more realistic game then Mario Kart, with large real-world tracks such as the Nürburgring Nordschleife as well as ported, classic tracks. I'm not sure if I want the game to feature powerups, coins etc. The new .love has Crash Bandicoot because I already had a kart model for him. I've learned some new maths, such as the coordinate system math used to move the character on the map, which may also lead to AI enemies in the future. I'm still working on Tero's 3D model for the Klonoa-style game, which is really my main focus (although, school has started so its hard for me to make time for either project)
The bars in the game:
left - grip
right - speed
bottom - red, steering wheel - blue, actual g force/turning
.love is Tero Kart.love in first post.
Last edited by retrotails on Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

retrotails wrote:Project somewhat resurrected
Hurrah! Not much we can do for now but driving feels good.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

The latest .love file is rather interesting. I'm impressed with how smooth the mode7-ified textures look, very cool! What I find odd though is that the speed variable being output to the screen seems to go from 10~0 when stationary yet the player doesn't move. What's going on there?
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
dreadkillz
Party member

Post by dreadkillz »

Watching that youtube video, I was almost sure you were playing the original Mario Kart on the SNES and not on LOVE. Well done.
retrotails
Party member

Post by retrotails »

dreadkillz wrote:Watching that youtube video, I was almost sure you were playing the original Mario Kart on the SNES and not on LOVE. Well done.
I should clarify, that actually IS Mario Kart, but a hack I made which inspired me to make a clone. I can totally see how you thought that.
Lafolie wrote:The latest .love file is rather interesting. I'm impressed with how smooth the mode7-ified textures look, very cool! What I find odd though is that the speed variable being output to the screen seems to go from 10~0 when stationary yet the player doesn't move. What's going on there?
Are you talking about the scientific notation thing? It'll say like 6.09814923472e-009 which is really 10^-9 which is like .000000006098... It'll do that for tiny tumbers.
retrotails
Party member

Post by retrotails »

Well, I kinda have a start at drawing enemies on the screen! I really need help with it, though. I can't move the ball anywhere. Also, when track.r is near math.pi or -math.pi (when the other ball is at the bottom of the screen) the ball goes down too far, then springs back up.
substitute541
Party member

Post by substitute541 »

retrotails wrote:Well, I kinda have a start at drawing enemies on the screen! I really need help with it, though. I can't move the ball anywhere. Also, when track.r is near math.pi or -math.pi (when the other ball is at the bottom of the screen) the ball goes down too far, then springs back up.
Actually, if you look at wikipedia, Mode 7 only distorts images to look like they are 3D. It can't position and scale objects so that they will look like they are 3D. You need to :
a) Find other ways to simulate 3D
b) Somehow ponder over it
c) Give up
Currently designing themes for WordPress.

Sometimes lurks around the forum.
retrotails
Party member

Post by retrotails »

substitute541 wrote:
retrotails wrote:Well, I kinda have a start at drawing enemies on the screen! I really need help with it, though. I can't move the ball anywhere. Also, when track.r is near math.pi or -math.pi (when the other ball is at the bottom of the screen) the ball goes down too far, then springs back up.
Actually, if you look at wikipedia, Mode 7 only distorts images to look like they are 3D. It can't position and scale objects so that they will look like they are 3D. You need to :
c) Give up
I'm just trying to move 2D sprites along the psuedo-3D surface. I've known exactly how real SNES mode7 works for several years now, at a lower level then Wikipedia gets in to. Ironically, mode 7 is only scaling, rotation, and shearing, just like Love's quads. Developers had to scale & rotate mid-frame, each scanline, just like I've had to do.
substitute541
Party member

Post by substitute541 »

retrotails wrote:
substitute541 wrote:
c) Give up
I'm just trying to move 2D sprites along the psuedo-3D surface. I've known exactly how real SNES mode7 works for several years now, at a lower level then Wikipedia gets in to. Ironically, mode 7 is only scaling, rotation, and shearing, just like Love's quads. Developers had to scale & rotate mid-frame, each scanline, just like I've had to do.
Told you... I have been working on a engine that doesn't use any ray casting/ray tracing... (just a formula)
Currently designing themes for WordPress.

Sometimes lurks around the forum.