Plazma Being

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Nsmurf
Party member

Re: Plazma Being (so far) (Demo)

Post by Nsmurf »

It's highest is 1024X768.

If i try to go higher, it gives me an "Out of range" error. And then i need to close whatever window is giving me trouble. while blind.
OBEY!!!
My Blog
UE0gbWUgd2l0aCB0aGUgd29yZCAnSE1TRycgYXMgdGhlIHN1YmplY3Q=
frpnit
Prole

Post by frpnit »

I've liked your game, good concept (although i got stuck on 3rd stage). Some observations:

1) Character physics aren't really helping the gameplay experience. It would probably work on an platformer like sonic, but on this one, would be better to behave more like Megaman jumps (i think)

2) Some things are really overcomplicated, what negatively impacts on gameplay (my viewpoint). Why not use the left mouse button as a generic action button, and another key (or even the right button) to change your action mode - one click and you are in levitating mode / another click and you are on shoot mode / another click, whatever mode... And the shoot mode could be the default one. Some display indicating your mode could be nice, too.

3) I think angular shoot (what make me think on team 17's worms) is another unnecessary difficult here, at least on what i've played so far. You could use something more like Abuse / Capsized shooting style. If angular shoot became really necessary in some future puzzle, then we could have both shooting types. A rapid click could be a directional shoot, but if you hold mouse button, shoot will become angular as you've done for now.

BTW, nice work so far. Keep it up!
FRP
  • Graphic Designer
  • Hobbyst Programmer
[/color]
felix24
Party member

Post by felix24 »

hey lads, sorry for taking ages to respond.
Nsmurf wrote:It's highest is 1024X768.

If i try to go higher, it gives me an "Out of range" error. And then i need to close whatever window is giving me trouble. while blind.
hmm, well i can't think of anything that could cause the problem so. sorry. in the new version of the demo, it automatically goes to desktop resolution for monitors your size (unless you've saved a different setting). maybe that will work better than what i had before.
frpnit wrote:I've liked your game, good concept (although i got stuck on 3rd stage). Some observations:

1) Character physics aren't really helping the gameplay experience. It would probably work on an platformer like sonic, but on this one, would be better to behave more like Megaman jumps (i think)

2) Some things are really overcomplicated, what negatively impacts on gameplay (my viewpoint). Why not use the left mouse button as a generic action button, and another key (or even the right button) to change your action mode - one click and you are in levitating mode / another click and you are on shoot mode / another click, whatever mode... And the shoot mode could be the default one. Some display indicating your mode could be nice, too.

3) I think angular shoot (what make me think on team 17's worms) is another unnecessary difficult here, at least on what i've played so far. You could use something more like Abuse / Capsized shooting style. If angular shoot became really necessary in some future puzzle, then we could have both shooting types. A rapid click could be a directional shoot, but if you hold mouse button, shoot will become angular as you've done for now.

BTW, nice work so far. Keep it up!
hey man thanks fro trying it and for the feedback ^^ .
1)Did you play the latest version (0.943)? The controls/jumping system is different (and better i think) than in previous versions. I've never played megaman so I'm not sure what the jumping system is like in that.

2) i realize the manipulation controls are a bit complicated, but that's just the nature of the beast i think. left click is already the default action button (pick shapes up/shoot/flick switch). the complexity comes in when you have to do something to a shape you are holding. but then, right click will do every secondary task for you (except rotation). in terms of changing forms, that's already bound to one button (or two technically seeing as the mouse wheel goes up and down ;) ). but maybe i'm not understanding your point properly. would you have preferred a button that just cycles through the forms?

3) not too sure what you mean by "angular shoot" here, but if you mean that the shot is momentum based instead of just following a vector i don't think i'll change it. to be honest, the energy ball is a bit under used in the game. which is a bit of a design flaw i know, but i don't think it has a major negative effect on the game and i'm not going to change it now ;)

thanks again for the comments
felix24
Party member

Post by felix24 »

hey all. uploaded a new promo video for the game there a while ago:

take it easy ;)
frpnit
Prole

Post by frpnit »

felix24 wrote: 1)Did you play the latest version (0.943)? The controls/jumping system is different (and better i think) than in previous versions. I've never played megaman so I'm not sure what the jumping system is like in that.
OH I didn't realized that you'd released a new demo version. Yes, jumping is much better now. Now i can easily predict character jumping trajetory. What i think annoying, is when we do jumping, and Plazma guy hits a block, he 'locks up', and you can't continue moving while in air. For me jumping could be a little higher, too. Not a problem, probably is just me, but i've lost some lifes trying to jump on a block i've put before, just because i thought i could jump on it but was too high.

Never have played Megaman? You should! :P
Try old 8-bit Megaman 2 here if you want: http://www.oldschoolapps.com/arcade/819 ... n-2-online It's a great game!
felix24 wrote: 2) i realize the manipulation controls are a bit complicated, but that's just the nature of the beast i think. left click is already the default action button (pick shapes up/shoot/flick switch). the complexity comes in when you have to do something to a shape you are holding. but then, right click will do every secondary task for you (except rotation). in terms of changing forms, that's already bound to one button (or two technically seeing as the mouse wheel goes up and down ;) ). but maybe i'm not understanding your point properly. would you have preferred a button that just cycles through the forms?
And i've seen you changed some controls, too. Now both forms are in mouse wheel, what is better. And you got my point, i think would be an improvement, just cycling through forms, no matter if you wheeled up or down.
felix24 wrote: 3) not too sure what you mean by "angular shoot" here, but if you mean that the shot is momentum based instead of just following a vector i don't think i'll change it. to be honest, the energy ball is a bit under used in the game. which is a bit of a design flaw i know, but i don't think it has a major negative effect on the game and i'm not going to change it now ;)
As you've said, it doesn't have a major negative effect - just suggested because at the moment, none of the puzzles really required a momentum shoot, but it's ok as it is.

I've found some bugs - in options menu here, it was saying fullscreen off, when it wasn't... turning on and off again had no effect. On third stage (oh my, i have to do some spoiler), in that part when a giant wheel follows you down, i've manipulated that block next to the two energy balls (what's up with that block? couldn't figured out why it has a purple cursor on that) and throwed on that abysm, and died after that. After spawning and arriving on the same place, block wasn't there anymore (by the way, i've got that 2 balls, using that blocks on stage final, dying to respawn retained them. It's supposed to be like that?).

Great work anyway, i see more interesting possibilities on this last videos!
FRP
  • Graphic Designer
  • Hobbyst Programmer
[/color]
felix24
Party member

Post by felix24 »

hey frpnit, thanks for the bug reports! i thought i had fixed the bug where he gets stuck on the side of blocks...but obviously not :roll:

actually you aren't supposed to be able to get the two energy blobs at the end of level 3 yet. the block with the purple cursor is one that can be possessed when you get the power later on in the game. the idea there, is that when the player unlocks the possess power in level 5, they can replay level 3 again to get the extra energy if they want, or if they are having difficulty getting enough energy later on in the game. looks like i have to redesign that bit of the level to disallow people using the blocks from the end of the level to get to them. and maybe have some indication that those energy blobs are unreachable at the moment. i wouldn't want people spending 10-15 mins thinking there's some puzzle to getting them when actually it's impossible.

thanks for your help :awesome:

i'm going to be uploading a beta version of the full game soon, so if anyone is interested in testing it out then that would be awesome :cool:

take it easy
frpnit
Prole

Post by frpnit »

felix24 wrote:the block with the purple cursor is one that can be possessed when you get the power later on in the game. the idea there, is that when the player unlocks the possess power in level 5, they can replay level 3 again to get the extra energy if they want, or if they are having difficulty getting enough energy later on in the game. looks like i have to redesign that bit of the level to disallow people using the blocks from the end of the level to get to them. and maybe have some indication that those energy blobs are unreachable at the moment. i wouldn't want people spending 10-15 mins thinking there's some puzzle to getting them when actually it's impossible.
So it appears i've cheated the game lol. I think when you doesn't have the required upgraded power, you couldn't even move that block, and maybe you should display a warning at screen saying that the hero doesn't have the required power to manipulate that. And maybe why not doing that gate wall after that, reaching the top of screen?
felix24 wrote: i'm going to be uploading a beta version of the full game soon, so if anyone is interested in testing it out then that would be awesome :cool:
Count with me! :ultraglee:
FRP
  • Graphic Designer
  • Hobbyst Programmer
[/color]
felix24
Party member

Post by felix24 »

frpnit wrote:Count with me! :ultraglee:
cool thanks ^^ i'd say i'll have a version ready tomorrow sometime. i'll pm you with a link to the download.
frpnit wrote: So it appears i've cheated the game lol. I think when you doesn't have the required upgraded power, you couldn't even move that block, and maybe you should display a warning at screen saying that the hero doesn't have the required power to manipulate that. And maybe why not doing that gate wall after that, reaching the top of screen?
all done :)
felix24
Party member

Re: Plazma Being (Beta)

Post by felix24 »

Hey all, I'm looking for a few people who are willing to try out the game for me. If you would like to try the full version, then give me a shout. It's an exe version so it will only work on windows. Thanks ^^
Nixola
Inner party member

Re: Plazma Being (Beta)

Post by Nixola »

I'm willing to help ;)
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics