Troubles with Development

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
MalNeige
Prole

Troubles with Development

Post by MalNeige »

Hiya y'all. So, I've been taking a break for the past few days and have been trying to get back in action. The problem is, I can't seem to figure out to do. So, today, I tried my hand at a tile system and...

Well, let me preface this by saying that Lua is not my first programming language. I have enough knowledge to pass me by. I've been able to muddle through it but this is the first point where I feel out of my league here.

So I tried to make the tile system and then I saw a for loop and my brain just about exploded. I've never used a for loop before so the concept is very hard to grasp for me. I just can't seem to rap my head around this one.

Plus, I've sorta run into a brick road. I know that I at the very least, want to do HUD or Tile System at some point. The problem is, I don't think I'm ready for a GUI system and I know that I'm not ready for a tile system. There are a limited amount of LOVE tutorials on the wiki that I want to do and/or implement in my game.

Is there anything I can do to remedy the situation? I mean, of course the remainder of the tutorials could help.

Thanks for all the help you guys have been,

- Stacy
coffee
Party member

Re: Troubles with Development

Post by coffee »

MalNeige wrote:Hiya y'all. So, I've been taking a break for the past few days and have been trying to get back in action. The problem is, I can't seem to figure out to do. So, today, I tried my hand at a tile system and...

Well, let me preface this by saying that Lua is not my first programming language. I have enough knowledge to pass me by. I've been able to muddle through it but this is the first point where I feel out of my league here.

So I tried to make the tile system and then I saw a for loop and my brain just about exploded. I've never used a for loop before so the concept is very hard to grasp for me. I just can't seem to rap my head around this one.

Plus, I've sorta run into a brick road. I know that I at the very least, want to do HUD or Tile System at some point. The problem is, I don't think I'm ready for a GUI system and I know that I'm not ready for a tile system. There are a limited amount of LOVE tutorials on the wiki that I want to do and/or implement in my game.

Is there anything I can do to remedy the situation? I mean, of course the remainder of the tutorials could help.

Thanks for all the help you guys have been,

- Stacy
You want to do a Terraria clone so Tile system is the more basic thing you need to learn/do it first. So start with the map tile tutorials is a very good step. Don't worry if the tutorials seems to do over the top looking game and you want to do a side-scroller looking. Map tile system concept is very important for learning how to correctly store and call tiles and specially deal with tables. All the rest like HUD can and should be done later.
Santos
Party member

Post by Santos »

I recommend kikito's love-tile-tutorial. (It even has a section on for loops!)
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Santos wrote:I recommend kikito's love-tile-tutorial. (It even has a section on for loops!)
Even that I like very much Kikito's Tile tutorial I don't like recommend it as very first step since it jumps too quickly to Quads and String map format. In Kikito's Tutorial it's better check before this https://github.com/kikito/love-tile-tut ... c-concepts before do the Tile Tutorial itself
MalNeige
Prole

Post by MalNeige »

Thank you guys! ^_^
You all are very helpful!
I'll check those tutorials out and see what I can come up with.

Edit: Just as an update, I finished the tile engine:

I'll start working on the grid next. Wish me luck! ;D