About the new website...

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: About the new website...

Post by Jasoco »

Robin wrote:Yeah, I think the front page is funny, but it's more geared towards LÖVE-oldtimers than new visitors, who'd be the only onese to visit this page anyway.
What you said. Old-timers will get it, but new people might be confused as to what it is. Seems more of a gimmick website, like some artists personal web site.
alexandream
Prole

Post by alexandream »

Just to add something here.

First time I heard about Löve, I was working on my own lua wrapping to SDL to write my games. I checked the site, couldn't find any useful information, and gave up on it. I only found the links themselves when someone pointed me to the link of the wiki on #lua, and I decided to search the source code for links.

Really a disservice to potential users.
Elvashi
Prole

Post by Elvashi »

I've already stated my opinion (on #loveclub) that I consider the new front page awesome, but useless. Either revise it to make it more useful, or revert to the old design.

The current front page, as it stands, is utterly illegible to anyone unfamiliar with love and its community (I.e the people its for). It needs more standard set pieces (such as nav. bars), the structure and relation ship of elements needs to be emphasized (at least one user has exclaimed they didn't realize the names on the left were related to the "messages" next to them, and was wondering who was "talking"), and the links need to be made more visible (pretty much no one notices them the first time round).

The simplest solution is, of cause, to simply revert to the old design, which also has the advantage of bringing back our rainbows (Weeeee! :awesome:).
"We could make a program for doing this for you, but that is for the LÖVE IDE, planned to be released in March 2142." ~mike
Networking with UDP uLove Proposal CCG: Gangrene
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

On the bright side. Doesn't the forum look quite nice lately?
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

TechnoCat: Your ability to look at the bright side is awesome.

I did not think of this before, but I actually do miss the Wee rainbows.

Hey, if anybody cares:
I actually checked out LÖVE six months before I had started using it, and I actually declared it "newbe crap". I have a whole new opinion now, after becoming desparate for a good engine and trying to make my own that was pretty much the same as LÖVE.

Anyway, the front page should contain a sample game's code (more then Hello World) to show its power right away.
Good bye.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Luiji wrote:Anyway, the front page should contain a sample game's code (more then Hello World) to show its power right away.
Hm, I'm not so sure about that. Those things make front pages unwieldy very quickly. Maybe it's more something for a one-click-away page? You know, saying “You can see more examples of the power of LÖVE' here.” on the front page.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

Agreed.
Good bye.
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

awesome, but useless
I believe that's how I introduced it on #loveclub. I'm fully aware that it's useless. No-one has to pretend otherwise.

Yeah, I'm going to make a useful page soon.

Soon.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

rude wrote:Soon.
You mean like 0.7.0? Zing!
Help us help you: attach a .love.
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »