Grid Engine

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
arquivista
No longer with us

Re: Grid Engine

Post by arquivista »

One key point of LOVE is that works more like an realtime engine than classic step-by-step language is understand gamestates. You really need to dominate well that and understand it since is a masterkey to do things right in LOVE. It's probably the key concept in LOVE.

When I start I have some hard times till I start to use gamestates and that opened and simplified a lot of things. For example it will also simplify and get ways of use same keys with different result simply switching from gamestates.
You should check Kikito' library Mindstate (http://love2d.org/wiki/MindState). There is another libraries using gamestates (HUMP for example I think).
ZenX2 wrote: I have been reluctant to do this simply because it makes it difficult to program.
Really, if you start "gamestating" things will be easier and not harder to program.

EDITED: Check also forum for discussions like
http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... 43&p=20998
--------------------------------------------------------
To Do: Insert Signature Here
--------------------------------------------------------
Lap
Party member

Post by Lap »

arquivista wrote: Really, if you start "gamestating" things will be easier and not harder to program.
100% agree. You should see how terribly messy things have gotten in one of my projects because I didn't incorporate gamestates from the get go. I'm pretty sure some of you guys would convulse looking at it.
ZenX2
Citizen

Post by ZenX2 »

I don't think gamestates are absolutely necessary, but I might write them for my class library.
Also, I wrote two quick functions for saving text to files and am adding JSON support.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

ZenX2 wrote:Also, I wrote two quick functions for saving text to files and am adding JSON support.
Lua is already a pretty good configuration language. Try using a Lua table instead of JSON.
ZenX2
Citizen

Post by ZenX2 »

JSON is a pure-lua table encoding module, that lets you convert tables to strings and back.
While working on saving, I figured out how to automatically require files in the ext and ents directories :cool:
Too bad enumerate doesn't work outside of the .love :cry:
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

ZenX2 wrote:Too bad enumerate doesn't work outside of the .love :cry:
You shouldn't try to access files outside of the .love and the write directory. In SELÖVE, you can't do it at all.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
ZenX2
Citizen

Post by ZenX2 »

I've gotten multiple-keys working, and it sucks. The movement is awkward, the activation is strange, you can press the key fast to move extra fast, and overall it isn't too great. Sorry, I'll upload this version, but I won't be continuing development with it. :P
EDIT: By it I mean the controls I was semi-pressured by two strangers to use :crazy:
ZenX2
Citizen

Post by ZenX2 »

I've decided to switch to MiddleClass, because my class system was malfunctioning.
Of course, having to say class("name") or name:new() is ugly, so I fixed it to use class.name() and name() :crazy:
Following a brief pause in development, I've started working on some features useful for an adventure game, like a dialogue menu.
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

You can already do name() with MiddleClass.
ZenX2
Citizen

Post by ZenX2 »

Oh yeah, I had thought that you couldn't until I looked in the code. At least I can now say class.name().
It's basically the same as my previous library, but inheritance works.
EDIT: New version! Adds pausing with p or the Pause(true or false) function, dialogue menus, and some work on saving.