Kurosuke (working title)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Re: Kurosuke (working title)

Post by TechnoCat »

Using the Window key on Windows isn't a viable option. That is, unless people love looking at their stupid start menus.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

TechnoCat wrote:Using the Window key on Windows isn't a viable option. That is, unless people love looking at their stupid start menus.
Isn't there a way to check the user's OS and alter the default accordingly?
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Lafolie wrote:Isn't there a way to check the user's OS and alter the default accordingly?
Hell no. Isn't it better to just let the player pick what keys they want to use, if you're going to do something fancy anyway?
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I think it was more about choosing defaults that apply to the current OS. Last I used Löve's "What is the OS I am on" thing it returned OS X as Linux. And now I can't even remember how to get it anymore. So I don't know if it was fixed.

I mean obviously you have to have defaults. It's bad practice to force the player to configure their game right out of the box. They should be able to jump in without having to configure right from the start.

But yes, make sure you offer configuration.
Last edited by Jasoco on Fri May 13, 2011 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

You could do some trickery with os.execute or os.getenv to determine the current OS. If/when LuaJIT becomes a standard part of LÖVE it has a jit.os string that will tell you.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

slime wrote:You could do some trickery with os.execute or os.getenv to determine the current OS.
If you do that, you better check for their existence first, as it would leave SELÖVE users unable to play the game otherwise.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Robin wrote:
slime wrote:You could do some trickery with os.execute or os.getenv to determine the current OS.
If you do that, you better check for their existence first, as it would leave SELÖVE users unable to play the game otherwise.
Does SELOVE restrict loading external lua files? I'm thinking about making packs of extra levels, and I don't want SELOVErs to be left out.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

tentus wrote:
Robin wrote:
Does SELOVE restrict loading external lua files? I'm thinking about making packs of extra levels, and I don't want SELOVErs to be left out.
What do you mean by external? If you have access to it using love.filesystem, it'll work.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Exactly. If you're not doing anything crazy, SELÖVE lets you do it.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Updated to work in 0.8.0. Please keep an eye out for anything I missed. I promise I will pick this project back up at some point, life has been keeping me too busy lately.
Kurosuke needs beta testers