Compendium - An "original" space shooter

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Araqiel
Citizen

Compendium - An "original" space shooter

Post by Araqiel »

I present to you my latest pet project! This one is starting to come along now, and I thought I'd give a presentation...

Compendium

At this point, it isn't majorly impressive... but it will be soon.

As for the demo, use W to accelerate, A/D to turn, and space to fire your LAZOR!!1!

Note: the laser was just a quick test of the "technique", so it doesn't do anything fancy like repeating - one press of space = one firing of the laser. Yes, you have to lift your finger to fire again.

What I'm especially proud of would have to be the controls. I hate the controls in most space shooters like this, so I thought I'd make it a bit realistic. This is the best approximation of Newtonian physics you'll probably ever see in a top-down 2D game. And if you think the fact that the ship slowly stops turning is unrealistic - try taking out your flight computer when I get further along in development. :P

One last thought - if anyone would like to contribute some art, please do! I'll take just about anything that looks like it fits with what I already have. I'm trying to avoid cuteness, and instead heading for realism (though not pixelly, things still need to be smoothed out), so if you can fulfill these simple requirements... me love you long time.

[EDIT] Download is fixed!
Attachments
compendium.love
(25.64 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
Last edited by Araqiel on Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Re: Compendium - An "original" space shooter

Post by Taehl »

Make sure your filepaths are Unix-style. That is, only use forwardslashes ("/") and beware case-sensitivity ("thing" ~= "Thing"). Hopefully that's your problem, since it's easy to fix.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Araqiel
Citizen

Post by Araqiel »

Oh, so they ARE case-sensitive, then? Okay.

Thanks! That worked, uploading fixed copy.
Araqiel
Citizen

Post by Araqiel »

Well, time to go to bed. At 4:02am...

My little impromptu GUI library is actually maturing now. Tomorrow, I'll add z-index and mouse click handling, and possibly some real parent-child tree stuff. Eh. Too tired to explain it properly. All I can say is that tomorrow will bring awesomeness.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Realistic, eh? (I'm not Canadian!)

My space shooter (although there isn't much shooting at this point) had that originally, but then I noticed it gets really annoying if you have any speed and want to turn. The small size of your universe here makes that it doesn't really matter, though.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Araqiel
Citizen

Post by Araqiel »

Pseudo-realistic. :P You can't get TOO realistic in two dimensions. For example, gravity simply doesn't work as expected without the third dimension... not to mention I'm not doing anything like collision or rotating about an arbitrary axis.

And as for the problem with speed and turning, I think I'll be able to eliminate that by allowing people to fine-tune how their engines perform, allowing them to set their maximum turning speed and mess with thrust. For gameplay, I'm going to limit max speed and max turning speed as a "hardware" value in the engine. But the flight computer can still lower the overall speed limits and so on.

Anyway... time to get to work.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Max speed? In space? That's not realistic at all. Unless you're going for light speed, but I somehow doubt that. :P
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Araqiel
Citizen

Post by Araqiel »

I am aware. It's for gameplay purposes.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Ah damn, I have competition! I might as well post mine then... :P
Araqiel
Citizen

Post by Araqiel »

It looks like we all have plenty of competition! May the best space shooter win. :o

I seriously need to start cleaning up my code. Right now it's like a haphazard assembly of carnage and a little bit of Lua. ton of wtf