Closed source game.

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: Closed source game.

Post by slime »

One would assume that when a LÖVE game is released to the general public it would be a merged executable anyway, because requiring potential customers to download LÖVE to play your game isn't a very good business move. :P

Also yeah, compiled lua can easily be decompiled into readable code.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

slime wrote:One would assume that when a LÖVE game is released to the general public it would be a merged executable anyway, because requiring potential customers to download LÖVE to play your game isn't a very good business move. :P
It would if LÖVE were more popular. ;)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
crow
Party member

Post by crow »

Robin wrote:
slime wrote:One would assume that when a LÖVE game is released to the general public it would be a merged executable anyway, because requiring potential customers to download LÖVE to play your game isn't a very good business move. :P
It would if LÖVE were more popular. ;)

I have to say I have seen a few games that do request you to download the engine is also makes games from one companys easier to release as they have one engine already on the end users computer so you just download the seed of the added files for that one game. So ya if it was more popular I could see a site or company using love as its main engine as release seeded games
Sir Kittenface
Möko IDE Codename (Erös) Returns Soon

I am dyslexic so if any of my replys confusing please just ask me to reword it as this will make things a lot easier for all parties lol.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

thelinx wrote:Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
"Short answer: Yes with an If, long answer: No with a But."
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Your long answer is shorter than your short answer... by one character :ultrahappy:

If you're wondering, the short answer is 14 characters and long answer is 13
baby_nux
Prole

Post by baby_nux »

use c++, you can make anythings from it.
or, if you have some money, buy a commercial game engine and hire some good game programmer / 2d/3d artist / composer.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

You can make anything from C++, but it's a lot harder than using Lua with Love, at least for me anyway.
crow
Party member

Post by crow »

I wont go away from lua I found AMS back in 07 that also uses Lua as its language of chose to the end user just like love and from then I played with so many diff lua apps, lua is clean cute and long as you have a good way to translate your actions to your os like a C++ wrap from windows or wraps to do api calls
to offer OS's you on to a winner I really enjoy lua and I think it offers so much more to the end user when scripting/programming.

LÖVE offers a great framework also that is based on all the things I used in the past and I just loving it, I have to get used to some of the functions what I
will have to start at some point lol.

But in my time of using lua it my be plain text soruce but it dose not mean there are not ways to hide, encrypt , or close source it if you will but we just have
to put in little work to be able to do this, the end result should only add a few mill sec to a sec tops to the game/program long as your not trying to view few gig
lol.

Base64 is not a encryption but most people just pocking about wont know what all them random letters and numbers mean so this could also be a way of keeping
some source safe, it really depends on the type of game, the type of integration you are wanting and the target platform your heading for, I would say there are loads of ways but not all of them a compatible with every OS.
Sir Kittenface
Möko IDE Codename (Erös) Returns Soon

I am dyslexic so if any of my replys confusing please just ask me to reword it as this will make things a lot easier for all parties lol.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

BlackBulletIV wrote:You can make anything from C++, but it's a lot harder than using Lua with Love, at least for me anyway.
To me, using C++ is about as easy as using a magnetized needle to modify the individual bits on the hard drive. And it makes me want to burn things.
When I write def I mean function.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Ha ha! I especially get annoyed when all of the sudden I get a thousand lines of completely unreadable error messages... really, that's annoying.