Making tools with LÖVE?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Twinmold
Prole

Making tools with LÖVE?

Post by Twinmold »

I just stumbled upon this neat tool and I was wondering if the current workings of the LÖVE file system are sort of permanent, or will be expanded on the future, so we can make more functional custom tools for, say, tile map editors, room rigging for adventure games, per-frame bounding box editors for fighting games, etc.

I mean, having to dig up the Application Data folder is not really an issue from the developer side, but it would be nice to have a little more leash. Plus, it gets pretty awkward when creating something for the end users to use, like level editors.

I'm new to the community, but I can't find any request about it on the tracker, so I guess this has been stablished at some point?

PS. Oh, also I'm only able to define the game identity as a subfolder inside the "LOVE" folder. Any way around this?
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Making tools with LÖVE?

Post by Robin »

I doubt it. LÖVE just isn't the right framework for tools like that.

It seems there is quite a lot of demand for a general GUI framework with the ease of use of LÖVE. I don't know whether something like that exists.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Creating general applications in Löve seems pretty horrible to me, to be honest. I would highly recommend getting Qt or GTK bindings for your language of choice and just create a proper application instead. You would have to learn some basic concepts of GUI toolkits, but in the end it'll be a whole lot easier, and much more maintainable.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Twinmold wrote:I just stumbled upon this neat tool and I was wondering if the current workings of the LÖVE file system are sort of permanent, or will be expanded on the future, so we can make more functional custom tools for, say, tile map editors, room rigging for adventure games, per-frame bounding box editors for fighting games, etc.
Thank you for sharing this. I've looked for something similar to this for a long time now. Only thing missing is onion skinning.