professional results?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Re: professional results?

Post by nevon »

xeol wrote:an unrelated question: are there any plans to make löve run on mobile platforms like android and iOS?
It's something that pretty much everyone here has wet dreams about. Sadly, it's non-trivial to start supporting other platforms. AFAIK, the biggest hurdle is that not all libraries are available on those platforms.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

There's tons of problems, let's do android:
It's C++, not java.. so.. NDK? That requires a lot of compiling, it requires a java frontend, and then there's logistics.

Or.. ios:
It's not Objective-C, it's not something we can produce standalone, every game needs to be compiled with it. Oh, and it's $99 a year!

And then there's the issue that it will require major rewrites, and us porting other projects, oh the joys of embedded devices!
appleide
Party member

Post by appleide »

bartbes wrote:There's tons of problems, let's do android:
It's C++, not java.. so.. NDK? That requires a lot of compiling, it requires a java frontend, and then there's logistics.

Or.. ios:
It's not Objective-C, it's not something we can produce standalone, every game needs to be compiled with it. Oh, and it's $99 a year!

And then there's the issue that it will require major rewrites, and us porting other projects, oh the joys of embedded devices!

Wesnoth is written in C++ but ported to iPhone also, so it's definitely not impossible. Objective-C is a superset of C after all. I think it would be easier than Android. Now, what about making a browser plugin, would that work?
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

appleide wrote:Now, what about making a browser plugin, would that work?
It would. There has been a Firefox plugin, a while back, but it is a huge gaping security hole.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Wasn't just firefox, NPAPI, so just about everything (except ie, I guess). Even the security isn't the biggest issue, the biggest issue is the lack of events, mostly mouse and keyboard input.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

I have some vague memory of iOS being able to handle Lua, but since the LÖVE engine is in C++, with Lua embedded, that doesn't really help. I still think Android would fit LÖVE more nicely due to it being open source and free. It doesn't really matter, though, since none of them are practically possible as things are right now.
Rukiri
Citizen

Post by Rukiri »

kikito wrote:The engine is ok for big projects. It has some sore points right now (slow font rendering, issues with non-ogg sound file formats), but they are being ironed out. Some people don't like the fact that the file format isn't encrypted, so it is (relatively) easy to get the original source code and/or art from the executable. Others don't like the fact that it is 2d only.

Don't take this the wrong way, but the biggest issue for creating a big game is usually a hardware problem. More precisely, the hardware that connects the chair to the keyboard. Once that part is good, the other part pretty much solves itself.

The community is also great. You are pretty much guaranteed to get help if you get stuck.
I couldn't agree more but this is 2D we're talking about, we're not talking about the next big call of duty game or Zelda!
I see love used professionally only as A.) for hand-held devices iOS/Android. B.) Prototyping.
I don't see love as of right now used on a prof game..

And like some people have said there is Game Maker which does have the power of love but it creates larger file sizes.. really my only issue with game maker.

There's also industry standard 2D FREE engines around that ARE used in the industry for both prototyping and used on the final product.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

LÖVE might not be able to create the next Zelda or CoD, but it sure can be used to create the next Doukutsu Monogatari :neko:
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

T-Bone wrote:LÖVE might not be able to create the next Zelda or CoD, but it sure can be used to create the next Doukutsu Monogatari :neko:
I picture LÖVE being used in the next Skullgirls, actually.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
zohnny
Prole

Post by zohnny »

xeol wrote:an unrelated question: are there any plans to make löve run on mobile platforms like android and iOS?
I would absolutely love for it to be ported to Android, but dealing with files and images would be an extreme pain, provided the port didn't come with a script editor and a file manager for projects.

If it ever did happen, I would expect it to be paid because it would be so difficult to port.

I think it would be cool, however, to be able to package games with the engine to run as an app in Android, with touch controls or with a device keyboard.