Ophidian Crawler : a non-tron snake clone [v0.07]

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
chezrom
Citizen

Ophidian Crawler : a non-tron snake clone [v0.07]

Post by chezrom »

Hello,

NEW VERSION !!! Ophidian crawler 0.07
  • Background generated by the noise() of love 0.9.0
  • Vitamin have progressive color from yellow to red, before disapearing
  • Score of vitamin from 50 to 200, depending of maturity and size (little red = 200, fat yellow = 50)
[/b]
ocrawler.jpg
ocrawler.jpg (43.05 KiB) Viewed 6924 times

Here is 'Ophidian Crawler' (version 0.07) a small snake game without right angles.
Please give me your feedback about this game.

The head of the snake is the yellow circle, and to grow you must eat 'vitamin' (the static colored circles).
The vitamin start yellow and becomes red
Each vitamin add one green circle to the snake's body.

You loose when your head hit your body

The score computation :
  • Each time you eat 'vitamin' your earn between 50 and 200 points depending of the color of the vitamin and its size (big yellow = 50, little red = 200) and a bonus about the half of the length of your snake.
  • The bonus is earn in five parts, each second after the fifth second you ate the 'vitamin'
  • Those bonus are cumulative, and the number in red shows you the ammount of bonus to earn
The snake wrap around the screen

If no movement (right or left) is done during five seconds, the snake becomes 'ghost' and can not eat vitamin. Any movement terminate this mode.

The snake body avoid to travel across the vitamin.

I like the minimalist graphic of the game, but I want to add more features.

Enjoy !

source on github : https://github.com/chezrom/ocrawler
Attachments
ocrawler.love
Version 0.07
(88.06 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
Last edited by chezrom on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:19 am, edited 8 times in total.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Ophidian Crawler : a non-tron snake clone

Post by Robin »

It would be nice to be able to make shaper corners.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Mermersk
Party member

Post by Mermersk »

Very nice! I liked it, clean and fun. Reminds of that snake game that came on Nokia phones many years ago.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

Pretty cool little game. It has sort of an addicting quality to it.
I agree with Robin that sharper turns might make the gameplay better.
Another suggestion I have is to make the snake warp across the edges of the screen.
The thing is that once you move off the screen it's hard to see where exactly you're going to reappear.
Other than that it's a pretty cool prototype. :)
chezrom
Citizen

Post by chezrom »

Thank you for your feedback.
ivan wrote:Pretty cool little game. It has sort of an addicting quality to it.
I agree with Robin that sharper turns might make the gameplay better.
Another suggestion I have is to make the snake warp across the edges of the screen.
The thing is that once you move off the screen it's hard to see where exactly you're going to reappear.
Other than that it's a pretty cool prototype. :)
To have sharper turns I must augment the angular speed when changing the direction.
Actually I use 180 degrees per second. When I augment too much, the keys become "too nervous" and it becomes difficult to avoid to hit himself.
But I think of a system of "alteration" (think Arkanoïd), with positive and negative, and some can be a quick turn but more difficult to handle.

For the wraping, it's OK. Tricky to implement (the border effect ...) but I think also it's improve the gameplay.
chezrom
Citizen

Re: Ophidian Crawler : a non-tron snake clone [v0.02]

Post by chezrom »

I have updated a new version (seed the first post for download) .

Implemented features :
  • No more out screen timer and loose : the snake wrap the screen
  • Sharper turn, but still manageable
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I love how different it is. But one problem I've seen is that because of the physics the tail moves out of its path which looks weird when it passes through a dot and doesn't pick anything up. Maybe you could figure out how to keep the tail stuck to its path.
chezrom
Citizen

Post by chezrom »

Jasoco wrote:I love how different it is. But one problem I've seen is that because of the physics the tail moves out of its path which looks weird when it passes through a dot and doesn't pick anything up. Maybe you could figure out how to keep the tail stuck to its path.
In fact, I'm waiting this remark. :joker: It's real physic :megagrin: It's the real move of a train without rails, of a pulled rope ...
I love this weird but realist behaviour, and I don't think about to add "rails" to the snake.

About the problem of the tail crossing a red dot, my first though is "it's Ok, only the head can eat", but after, yes it can be weird.
I'm a little affraid about to manage collisions to have the tail to go around the dot ...
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I'd rather it just stick to a rail then. If the body touching the dot doesn't at least push it around it just seems weird. Rails would make it more enjoyable for me personally. But it's your game.
chezrom
Citizen

Re: Ophidian Crawler : a non-tron snake clone [v0.03]

Post by chezrom »

Hello !

I have released a new version of Ophidian Crawler (love file in first post), 0.03

The new features are
  • High score management, with name entered by keyboard (with a QWERTY mapping)
  • Correction of a collision bug (snake with snake)
  • two types of 'vitamins' : yellow (50 pts) and red(100pts). Yellow becomes red, and red disapear after 2 seconds.
I wait for your feedbacks !
Jasoco wrote:I'd rather it just stick to a rail then. If the body touching the dot doesn't at least push it around it just seems weird. Rails would make it more enjoyable for me personally. But it's your game.
Sorry for my late answer. In fact I'm interresting to transform the snake in a "renard train" (a road train for which all the part follow the same trajectory, with a complex mechanic), but I need some reflexion, and I fear that the move look less natural.