Unnamed Minimal RPG

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Kyle
Party member

Unnamed Minimal RPG

Post by Kyle »

My girlfriend and I are working on a little RPG project with LOVE. The graphics are extremely simple but stylized. It's in a very early state but I thought I'd post now so I can keep track of our progress and let people know about the project so we can get some more ideas and input!

Release 0.0.1
Known Bugs:
  • Character "dot" can straddle 1-pixel wide outcrops - this isn't a problem since it's a very hacked together demonstration right now
RPG Test.love
(31.67 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
Helvecta
Party member

Re: Unnamed Minimal RPG

Post by Helvecta »

Wow. I am in love with this style, what is made has such a polished feel, I love it! Please continue this. Beautiful!

"Bump." -CMFIend420
Kyle
Party member

Post by Kyle »

Thanks! I've been drawing in new parts of the map while I wait for her to code some character stuff. Here's a new island!

I'm planning a much, much bigger island next. I've mostly got this style down and I can generate new land quickly. I'll try not to let it look all the same though! We're going to add an entity layer with pixels 1/4th as big, so we can put a bit more detail into them. That'd be trees, monsters, characters, houses, etc.
Murii
Party member

Post by Murii »

Nice graphics!
Sodium
Prole

Post by Sodium »

I loved the art! neat.
what kind of rpg will it be? Action-rpg, turn-based, nothing-defined?
Those clouds :huh: , can you make them move more smooth, the parallax feels weird when walking backwards.
Last edited by Sodium on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love okra. :P
Kyle
Party member

Post by Kyle »

Sodium wrote:I loved the art! neat.
Those clouds :huh: , can you make them move more smooth, the parallax fills weird when walking backwards.
She wants to do live action stuff, but I'm honestly not too sure how to pull it off. It could be interesting. Maybe the character might face the mouse when in fight mode.

The clouds are a bit wonky right now, I'm going to pack them into a class soon and change how they're rendered so the islands can cast shadows on them.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Kyle wrote:
Sodium wrote:I loved the art! neat.
Those clouds :huh: , can you make them move more smooth, the parallax fills weird when walking backwards.
She wants to do live action stuff, but I'm honestly not too sure how to pull it off. It could be interesting. Maybe the character might face the mouse when in fight mode.

The clouds are a bit wonky right now, I'm going to pack them into a class soon and change how they're rendered so the islands can cast shadows on them.
Who is this mythical she? :|

EDIT: Ignore this, I re-read the OP.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
Kyle
Party member

Post by Kyle »

Haha, the code is a bit of a mess because I've been trying to squeeze things in without spending too much time polishing it. She's already mad at me for making so much progress while she was out. :P

After work tomorrow, I'll try to clean up the cloud code and add the island shadow effect. Right now, I'm rendering them with a wonky quad system and changing the quad viewport. I'm just going to switch to rendering a rectangle filling the screen and use a pixel effect so I actually know how the coordinate system is working. That way, I can tell where the shadow is supposed to be in relation to the screen. I'd just render a transparent, grey version of the islands, but that darkens the sky too. It should only show on the clouds themselves.

As it seems, she's going to do the character stuff and I'm going to do the UI/backpack stuff. We're thinking about making it single-player at first, then expanding it into multiplayer. It'd be very interesting to see people running around these islands fighting each other and fighting monsters!
AtomCastDev
Prole

Post by AtomCastDev »

I love the sky island feel! I hope this game goes somewhere :D
Sharing the one world

Also check out my friend's game!
http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43276
Daniel Eakins
Citizen

Post by Daniel Eakins »

That looks pretty good! I'm looking forward to seeing more of it!
Helvecta wrote:Image
That was my first thought as well :)