What do you do while you code?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Eamonn
Party member

What do you do while you code?

Post by Eamonn »

I was thinking about it the other day, and I was thinking "I wonder what other people do while they code...".

So, what do you do while you code? Does it affect how you code?

For me, I LÖVE to listen to music while I code(particularly the Bohemian Rhapsody, because it is the most beautiful song ever(better then anything on the radio today IMO, but that's another argument for another time)). The music relaxes me, and I tend to get more done while I code when listening to music. It doesn't distract me, it actually helps me focus. I wear headphones, and they alone drown out the outside noise, so the music drowns out the outside world a lot, so I wont be distracted by what's going on around me(unless you're dancing around or waving to me to get my attention), and thus I focus more on the code. I know exactly what to do, so I get it done faster.

This might be because I listen to music every chance I get. Going on a long car journey? First thing I grab: Phone and headphones to listen to music. Going for a walk? The same! Going to sleep? Grab my iPad and play some music. It sounds like an obsession, but it isn't(at least... that's what I keep telling myself :O).

Maybe you watch a movie while you code. Maybe you have it running in the background or something. Maybe you go on Skype and chat to someone. I'm just curious what people do while they code.

One thing: When I'm listening to music, if the song is either a fast song or a song I really like, I tend to go a little faster with my coding. If it's a slower song or a song I don't really like, I go a LITTLE slower. Most of the time though it's a steady pace that I code at. Does this happen for you, depending on what do you? This doesn't just apply to LÖVE, any language, or just if you're doing something that you could spend a while doing(maybe digging in Minecraft or doing homework or something).
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
Davidobot
Party member

Re: What do you do while you code?

Post by Davidobot »

When I do anything for long periods of time, I generally listen to Nightcore, or talk to someone on Skype. But if I am focusing on a really hard programming task, I tend to prefer silence.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

possibilities: 1.the classic one, hearing soviet music 2.hearing some random music from my awesome playlist on youtube 3.coding and typing random things in my lua files that hopefully will work.

and god eamonn are you some kind of spy from the US Government or are you just fucking curios?
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

jjmafiae wrote:possibilities: 1.the classic one, hearing soviet music 2.hearing some random music from my awesome playlist on youtube 3.coding and typing random things in my lua files that hopefully will work.

and god eamonn are you some kind of spy from the US Government or are you just fucking curios?
Guess I'm just curious... :D

CRAP, MY COVER'S BEEN BLOWN! GUY'S, IS A CODE RED!! WHAT DO I DO NOW??
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Eamonn wrote:
jjmafiae wrote:possibilities: 1.the classic one, hearing soviet music 2.hearing some random music from my awesome playlist on youtube 3.coding and typing random things in my lua files that hopefully will work.

Guess I'm just curious... :D

CRAP, MY COVER'S BEEN BLOWN! GUY'S, IS A CODE RED!! WHAT DO I DO NOW??
from now on im gonna call you "the G-Man"
SeducingOrange
Prole

Post by SeducingOrange »

I listen to music. Sometimes, if the problem at hand is really exciting, I jack off.
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

SeducingOrange wrote:I listen to music. Sometimes, if the problem at hand is really exciting, I jack off.
Well... at least you listen to music ;)
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Either I listen to music. Right now it's exclusively video game remixes from OverClocked Remix.

Or I watch something on my Mac mini's 20" screen while coding on my Air. Either a TV show or a movie from my vast digital library on Plex or something on YouTune. Possibly catching up on GameGrumps or TotalBiscuit or Nerd3 or Continue? one of the many others I watch on a daily basis. Or That Guy With the Glasses stuff or RedLetterMedia.
DaedalusYoung
Party member

Post by DaedalusYoung »

Sometimes I put music on, mainly if there's something else that's distracting me.

Usually, I think about how I'm going to code something, then I just do random things, go on Facebook, watch something on YouTube. If I really can't seem to get something to work, I have to walk away from it, go do something else. Sleep, or get some groceries. Most of the time, when I get back, I instantly see the problem.
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

DaedalusYoung wrote:Sometimes I put music on, mainly if there's something else that's distracting me.

Usually, I think about how I'm going to code something, then I just do random things, go on Facebook, watch something on YouTube. If I really can't seem to get something to work, I have to walk away from it, go do something else. Sleep, or get some groceries. Most of the time, when I get back, I instantly see the problem.
I don't do exactly what you do, but usually I go out with my mum and dad for a few hours and then I do see a problem. Sometimes I even see something I did either really badly or something I didn't know would cause an error.